Confused 😏

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've got a fracture in my 5th metatarsal, it's been one week and I've been in a brace, and a short medical shoe. I'm using crutches, and NWB.

I've been reading and gathering some info from the Internet and it seems like most people with the same condition are in a cast. People who visit me at home seem to ask the question as to why I'm not in a casts. I don't really remember what my doc said, something like because it wasn't dislocated that's why.

Anyway, if you can relate or have some info please reply. Thank you in advance.

S.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suzy, it is hard to say why some are in a cast and others are not. My personal experience is that most people are not put in a cast but I'm also from the USA so I don't if that makes a difference. I think the goal is immobilization until the foot starts to heal. I was NWB and then moved to a boot. There are a lot of people who don't get casts. Good luck Suzy.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your reply. I'm in LA and yes knowing you're in USA helps lol.

With this bandage thing he put on I'm kind of able to move the foot but I try my best not to.

• Posted

Oops I accidentally pressed the wrong button/ I wanted to ask you if yours was broken or a fracture and how long the healing process took? And was it painful to step on the ground after?

Thank

• Posted

Hi Suzy, mine was a fracture and because I didn't follow directions right away, I made it worse and ended up with a displaced bone so then had surgery. I have a plate and pin. I was NWB for five weeks after surgery and I followed doctors orders this time. I never had a cast. And didn't wear a boot during the NWB stage. I did use a kneel scooter to get around. I started wearing the boot at 5 weeks after surgery. 7 weeks after surgery, there was bone growth and good healing. My foot was very achey when I first started bearing weight in the boot. I really had to work through it and every night put my foot up for the night. I could get into a bad mood over it. I had to work on not limping too. That is very hard. smile It is 12 weeks past surgery and I've been wearing a good pair of Keens shoes now for 3 days and I feel like I'm pretty normal. Still slower moving but progress. Very little swelling and when it does, I just put my foot up. The pain I had when going to the boot and bearing weight was more ache than the pain that I had after it was broken. It has been a 12 week process for me so far. The NWB was the hardest, but I could feel the progress as I went along. The key for me was to elevate my foot as much as possible during each phase. Your foot needs rest and regeneration as it gets used to walking again. You will get there Suzy. smile
    • Posted

Awww thank you soooo much, I'm getting so depressed over this. It totally threw my summer off. I've got two active boys and feel so bad that I can't do much with them. But thankfully I've got great support. It's just depressing sitting and doing nothing. I wanted to get the knee roller but then decided not to.

I'm glad you're doing better and have healed well. I'm sure it wasn't easy waiting.

What did you do wrong in the beginning that led you to dislocate your bone? I hope I'm not doing that.😁

• Posted

Hi Suzy, I feel your pain!  I fractured mine in April and finally got our of the boot last Wed.  I was like you, I was pretty depressed because I am very active and the weather was fabulous. I highly recommend the knee walker, it is amazingly helpful when NWB. (and the kids get a kick out of it too) I had an air boot the entire time and was religious about not stepping on it.  I was so afraid to set myself back,  My foot seemed to swell a lot and that was the only real discomfort that I had.  My doctor commented a couple times "you don't want a cast!" because you have to have to redone among other reasons.  And with the swelling I had and was able to carefully remove the boot sometimes, I couldn't imagine having a cast on it.  I would have been on the phone with the dr office all the time. smile  I am glad you have good support, I did too, it made all the difference, don't hesitate to tell people what you need done.  My husband has a whole new appreciation for my responsibilities. lol  My whole deal was 12 wks, with a return visit in another 6 wks. Foot still swells, walking is a trip, I have to focus on heal-toe and not limping. What a riot!  Sure makes you value two feet and gives a new appreciation for the disabled.  Take heart, it will go fast, but I am sorry it is the heart of the Summer. Such a bummer! I just kept thinking....."I am not in constant pain, just a bother".  A Sympathic Hug to you!!
    • Posted

Aww thank you so much. You're very sweet. Yes, I do agree with you that although it's super inconvenient and just down right depressing, at least it isn't painful.

Was yours fully broken, dislocated, or just a crack, doc kept saying how they call all those a fracture but they're very different. April to last Wednesday really sounds like a long time. I'm glad your husband finally gets it, mine tried doing half the things I do and realized whatever he thought was a breeze actually took up time and effort.

Well, it's good to hear you've recovered and are moving forward.

I just can't believe one simple fall lead to soooo much trouble!! 😌

• Posted

It was a break but not dislocated. It was at the head, had it been 2 ml lower it would have need surgery. Thank God for small favors! smile  It was on the 27th of April, so right at the end. I was NWB for 7 wks. and initially it was so traumatic to overnight become totally dependant that the depression was daunting, it was a conscious effort to look at the positive. My 4 yr old granddaughter was a great help. Funny....I had to hop two hops from my scooter to the reliner sofa, right? Watching me with an analytical childs perspective she exclaims "Good thing I show you how to hop!". (She had recently made sure I knew her current achievement) Cracked me up!  Just know that it will pass, you can't change it. sad Rest, Rest, Rest. Sleep is when the body repairs. Eat well, and I boosted the bone strengthening supplements.  Blessings
    • Posted

Hi Pat,

Your grandchild sounds totally adorable. I'm glad you got help.

Well as of right now I think I have no choice but to stop stressing about it, but throughout the day it does hit me of how I can't do anything.

Thank you for your reply 😉

Wishing you health!

• Posted

Hi Suzy

I am in UK and am in a foot walker with crutches I can weight bear on my heel. I fractured my 1st metatarsal or it is broken during surgery for a Hallux Vulgras operation I am 7 weeks on and my foot is 75% healed. I can totally empathise with your feelings of frustration and depression, but unfortunately there is one road to recovery. Rest as much as you can. I am taking calcium supplement and vitamins even though my diet is really good. I think that being a very active person normally doesn't help either.

Hope you recover quickly and can get back to what you like doing.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for replying. I'm getting better at being more patient with this situation. Sorry to hear you went through all that. 

I just hope once I'm done I never have pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.