confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've had fibro for around 3 years and went to see my rheumatologist only to discover I've wear and tear of my lower back joint. What's confused me is does this mean I have arthritis of the lower back or not. very confused can someone shed light to it.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melanie

I have wear and tear in my left knee, and was told that I have osteoarthiritis in my left knee.

It would be nice if docs made themselves more clearer. wink xx

• Posted

Yes, I too have osteoarthritis in my neck and hips, but seemingly fibromyalgia everywhere rolleyes so maybe you have more than one thing. The Dr told me that my osteoarthritis doesn't account for the amount of pain and discomfort I am in, even though I have it.
  • Posted

Hi Melanie.  Wear and tear on joints is effectively osteo arthritis, so yes you do have it although it may not be severe or even become severe.  Not all arthritis sufferers have it progress to serious levels.  OA is caused by wear and tear or by trauma to the joint (ie an accident or injury) and it may be that because of your fibro, your body has developed a wrong posture causing excessive wear or it may be that your immune system has been compromised by the fibro and caused inflammation of the cartilage in the joints of the back.  Then again it just may be something that would have occurred purely down to general wear and tear throughout life.  As Bee has said, it would be so much more helpful if doctors would just be clear and not try to use gentle euphemisms to cover bad news.  Dont despair however, OA isn't always the end of life as we know it.  I've had it in my thumbs for 30 yrs and although sometimes its horrible, mostly I ignore it and just make a few small adaptations to how I do things.  xx
  • Posted

Hi Melanieb My gp sent me for an MrI , on it showed I had wear tear in my neck and lower back, she explained it was due to ageing and that it was mild arthritus. The rheumatologist should of been more clearer with you, and explained morerolleyes.honestly they expect us to be mind readers at times take care gentle hug

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.