Confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Im sorry, you have probably heard all these questions before but here goes, i am currently awaiting results of bloods for B12, Lymes disease , glucose and inflamatory markers, if all clear, possible MS, i have been trying to work out how MS makes you feel with no sucess, my questions are

I have dizzy/ floor moving spells (very intermittent) first attack some 8 years ago, this caused me to black out and crash my car.

at that point i developed a pain similair to brain freeze that shoots down my spine, originating from bottom of neck ( not the top which seems to be a sympton), this pain takes a journey of three paces, it comes out the top of my chest, continues to my ribs, splits, rib cage then gets compressed either side or it splits at my kidneys, it lasts seconds then gone, always after movement,

Muscle pain, burning agony in my hand fett and legs, is i do too much my muscles feel like i've been to the gym.

Intense itching, hands and feet

Fatigue like ive never know, it gets into my bone (hope that makes sense)

for the last six weeks four of my toes feel numb and a patch on the soles of my foot, i can feel touch (weird)

and finally pins and needles mainly hands and feet, occasonally patches on body.

originally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, my Dr is disputting this as all the above comes in episodes i am well inbetween with the exception of the odd symptom, balance.etc

i am so worried thid is all in my head, but my gut tells me its MS.

i wuould be very grateful for any input, however small.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline

Have you had an MRI or spinal tap done? If not that would be the first thing I would have my doctor do.

I have had most of what you have described. I worried my self to death waiting on the results of the test to come back. I know it's not easy but stressing about can make symptoms worse. MS can make you have many different symptoms and everyone is going to experience them differently. Once I finally got a diagnose of MS I was somewhat relieved but also worried about the future. I have only been able take it one day at a time as I don't know what tomorrow brings.

• Posted

Hi, sorry you're going through all this. IF you do, in fact have MS, then as the first responder said, you would need a lumbar puncture doing and, typically, at least 2 MRI's doing, a while apart, to show increasing/healing lesions in the central nervous system (CNS). An 'evoked potential' test might be done too, to check your vision.

Regarding that shooting pain you experience, try reading about 'l'hermittes sign', that might be what you're experiencing.

I always recommend anyone with ongoing health problems keeps a running record of symptoms, signs and concerns, as it can be useful when attending any medical appointments.

Again, as the first responder said, do try to keep stress to a minimum (I realise that isn't the simplest of things, particularly with health problems). I recommend finding a way that helps you to relax, perhaps breathing exersises?

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi thank you both for responding, I did have a spinal tap. Done around 2 years ago for something unrelated,so I'm sure they would have found something there as I have had symptoms for some time, as you said I need to stop stressing. Thank you again for your help, I think if my tests are clear I will be referred.
    • Posted

I'm not sure that a sample of cerebrospinal fluid, taken for testing would have shown oligoclonic bands (which is what would be looked for if MS is suspected) would have even been considered, unless they were SPECIFICALLY looking for MS, at the time.

another problem, one that adds to the overall difficulty of identifying MS, is that, while a sufferer is in remission, cerebrospinal fluid samples may not have oligoclonic bands, until the sufferer relapses...

Obviously, the best outcome us to NOT have MS, unfortunately, it might not, currently be completely dismissed as a possibility, however,.statistically, you're not going to get THAT diagnosis. Basically, MS us a pain in the rear to even diagnose, sorry.

• Posted

Hi Caroline, I have been diagnosed for 15 years with MS. My spinal tap (lumbar puncture) was negative at that time. I am doing very well and you should try to do whatever you can to be positive. Meditation helps. Being upset either waiting for diagnosis or after is not going to help you. You need to keep calm and carry on as the Brits say. If you do have MS or anything else in fact, taking care of yourself is primary and that means lowering your stress level. MS is a chronic long term disorder usually and you will need your wits about you to wade through. Wendy is correct about keeping track of symptoms (and doctor's appointments). The second part of that is, after you write things down - try to forget it or figure out a way to work around it. Also, don't blame everything on MS. When I started to limp 7 years ago I spent 6 years doing physio only to find out that I had a deformed hip and needed a hip replacement (now done) and am walking fine. You will feel better after you receive an answer from the doctors and worrying will not help. At that point you can decide the direction of your life and I'm sure it will be long and healthy either with MS or not. Take care,
  • Posted

Is itching a common theme for ms? I've had lower leg itching for 3 yrs which is being ignored by gp. Other symptoms such pins and needles in legs and no use of my arm last year. Sorry to but in but I was alarmed to see itching as a symptom
    • Posted

Pruritis (itching) may occur as a symptom of MS. It is one of the family of abnormal sensations — such as “pins and needles” and burning, stabbing, or tearing pains — which may be experienced by people with MS. These sensations are known as dysesthesias, and they are neurologic in origin.
    • Posted

... it can also cause: a rippling/skin crawling sensation, tickling or, one that I get when I need to pee... a feeling that cold (occasionally warm) water is trickling down my legs, which is somewhat disconcerting, given the timing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.