Confused about HRT

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I'm so confused about all of this "to take or not to take HRT".On one hand I hear that when we are in menopause and our estrogen levels become depleted it puts us at a higher risk of heart issues and breast cancer.On the other hand I hear that taking HRT can put us at a higher risk of heart issues and breast cancer. So...what does one do?

I'm 55 and 8 months ago had hysterectomy removing uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes. Ovaries were in good shape and were left in on the premise that they would still continue to produce estrogen putting me into a slow menopause instead of immediate surgical menopause. I still feel the hormone changes I did before my surgery but can't tell exactly where in my cycle I am or how much my hormone levels have declined.

I have symptoms of occasional nighttime hot flashes...not much during day. Guess I'm lucky...my GYN Dr says 10% of women don't have a lot of hot flashes. What I do have is terrible gastrointestinal issues, especially acid reflux. Also just plain tired and no energy and anxiety/worry issues are pretty bad. Lots of other minor issues that go along with this but the above mentioned three are the worst.

My question is...should I or shouldn't I pursue HRT therapy? I have high blood pressure and hypothyroidism which are being treated.

I'd appreciate any feedback from you wonderful ladies!

Thanks??

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi tmpearce 

well i I have been on HRT but my doctor told me it would keep my periods running, they have stop now for a while gone back in January....when I took hormone therapy three weeks after they came back 

I have stop the medication not only because of the bleeding but also was told that you can get blood clots and strokes and cancer but at a low risk 

I also have high BP myself and take meds for that... I do understand you can't decide wether to take it or not it's not easy decision 

but this would be entirely up to you, my friend was on it should told me it's only me can know for my self 

if your feeling that bad you will have to try it. Hope this helps.

• Posted

My sister had breast cancer a couple years ago. It through her straight into menopause. The doctor told her to not take HRT because she will be at greater risk of the Vance coming back. Some people may not agree. But as for me I will tough it out because it is to scary.
    • Posted

Yes I agree with what your saying, that's why I stop it I couldn't relax taking it head all over the place when I start taking it for a few weeks.

• Posted

I'm leaning toward the natural way too, especially since I don't have a big issue with hot flashes right now. It seems to me that a lot of people take it for hot flash relief. Trying to tough it out and eat healthy etc.

Thanks for your reply!

• Posted

Hi shirl

I totally get where your coming from but the problem is women who are in their 40s abs going through the change their bodies still heed to hormone it looses .

I'm 44 been going through this since I was 38 I have been told by many doctors that when your on your 40s and loose the hormone you can easily break bones esp hips bones become brittle.

I did try hrt for 3 months couldn't get on with it so stopped but the pains I get and the muscle stiffness is awful.

Us poor women are damed if we do and damed if we don't

• Posted

Just my opinion but this is a natural occurence for women. I don't get the point on taking HRT. I am going through it naturally, it has unpleasant side effects yes but vitamin supplements have helped. I don't believe in interfering with the process and risking those other side effects. I think they are more dangerous. Again, just my opinion and my personal choice. Hope you find the right answers to help you smile

• Posted

Thanks Nancy...I'm kind of thinking that too. Trying to cut out carbs, sugars and bad fats. What supplements are working for you?

• Posted

Tmpearce,

I was a mess a couple years ago with anxiety because of so many weird symptoms which doctors blew off so this forum helped me and I listened to advice on taking supplements.I have found this to be an interesting journey. A natural process of progressing to the next and last stage of life. I'm embracing it because #1 , not all women live long enough too and #2 nothing really happened when I had my little "attacks" so I let it ride. I have gotten a grip on myself and in most cases laugh it off.i also found that doctors know diddly squat about what hormone changes do to us women lol. This too shall pass...

• Posted

I love your attitude! That's half the battle, I think!??

• Posted

Hi, I haven't had surgery but chose to try HRT (Femoston), because the 'brain fog', tiredness and dreadful anxiety were interfering with my life too much. I didn't suffer much with hot flashes or insomnia.

I also started to take Vitamin B6 and Starflower capsules. I am on treatment for high blood pressure and hypothyroidism too.

After many weeks, and much angst about taking HRT, I think everything is settling down and I feel much more in control and more like my old self , I honestly don't know what has been the reason for this, but quite frankly , I don't care - I've got my life back.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you come to . I might add , for anxiety peaks, I found Kalms were an absolute lifesaver ! X

• Posted

Hi nuss

Glad things are finally settling down for you.

I will look for the B6 and starflower supplements. I take a multivitamin and extra B12 right now. What is Kalms? And where can I get it? I'm willing to try anything that won't interfere with the meds I'm already taking.

Thanks??

• Posted

I have B12 injections already because I've had a gastric bypass. The Kalms were recommended by a lady at Boots and she checked with the pharmacist that there would be no adverse interaction.

My sister got a ladycare magnet, but I think they are more useful for other symptoms like the hot flashes etc.

The other supplements were from Holland and Barrett.

I got the Kalms because I didn't want to go down the Diazepam and Prozac route that my doctor suggested may help (Diazepam to be used when anxiety was really bad). I felt they took the edge off when I needed it.

I so wanted an immediate fix, but fingers crossed , although that wasn't the case I'm now on the right track- hope you get there too!x

• Posted

Are you in the US? I don't recognize the store name of Boots.

• Posted

Hi, Boots the chemist is in the UK. If you google Kalms it will take you to their website for the product info. They are a herbal sleep aid and also recommended as help for some symptoms of menopause. You can buy from Amazon.

• Posted

Wouldn't mind being in the US ! lol  Boots in the UK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.