Confused about liver function tests ??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so I was a hard working functional alcoholic In recovery... I drank every night for 12 years 6-8 beers 440ml 5% beers or wine plus beers while smoking weed...I know sad isn't it but please don't judge me

Ive now been sober now 6 weeks. I'm never going back to it. Ive had 2 liver function tests via bloods being taken both came back as normal. I drank right up to the day before the tests as I read that a few days off drinking could give normal tests so I wanted results based on my everyday life. The first test was when I tried quitting drink in the summer but my dad died I only managed a week and drank even heavier after . the second was 6 weeks ago I haven't drank since. The doctor felt my liver and said it felt normal sized.

I had no real symptoms other than waking up a few times with a red puffy face that would go by lunch time but only after a real heavy session. I never had any withdrawal symptoms except night swets that only lasted a couple of nights.

I'm just really worried as I've read that cirrhosis, fatty liver or alcoholic liver disease can somtimes have no symptoms and you can still get good liver function tests. Ive also read that you can cirrhosis like symptoms with just a fatty liver. Which makes it very confusing. I read that heavy drinking for ten years without days off means you will most likely get cirrhosis which I have done !!! So I'm really scared

Also finding it hard to convince my doctor that I've done a lot of damage based on the liver tests as the bloods came back fine. I'm 32 years old but I'm quite healthy as I work a labour intensive job and have done all my life. I also only look about 27 -28 most people don't believe me when I tell them I'm 32 I don't look like the typical drunk but I'm sure most drinkers don't. when I tell my doctor how much I've drank I can't help but think she thinks I'm exaggerating which I'm not. I find it quite frustrating as I never go to the doctors so it's not like I'm a hypercondriat.

Is it really possible to have drank that much for so long and not have done any damage ? Could I have cirrhosis ALD or fatty liver ? Could liver function tests really come back as normal with a lot of damage ?? What should I do ? I would love to know and have some peace of mind. I've even cut out salt as I worrie about damaging my liver even more. I can't sleep with worrie .But I'm so lucky to have the support of a loving girlfriend

All I seem to see online are people quoting government guidelines of 14 units a week, bloody hell I would do that in a night sometimes.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Blood tests can point to a problem and alert the GP to doing further tests. Normal blood tests do not indicate a normal liver.

I have normal blood tests and I have cirrhosis. The only way to tell properly, is an abdominal ultrasound where the radiologist can scan you in detail and it shows up the state of your liver, as well as other related organs.

Guessing whether someone has cirrhosis or not, based on a few paragraphs on the internet, it is just that. You're borderline if I had to guess, I'd say more liek fibrosis - the stage before cirrhosis.

The government guidelines are political, not medical, I wouldn't pay too much attention to them.

You can either forget about it, put it behind you and live a bit healthier, badger your GP for a referral to the hospital for the scan (takes about 20 minutes) or pay for it privately. Personally, I'd do the former, but if it bothers you that much, you have to go for one of the latter options.

• Posted

Hi I had my ultra sound today they said I have a small scar on my liver but nothing to worry about? What do you think is a small scar nothing to worry about ?
    • Posted

Probably early fibrosis. More of a warning to calm your drinking down than anything. I am guessing a bit here, as I am not a radiologist nor do I have the scan in front of me. Scarring happens when you drink to much and the liver attempts to repair itself, after awhile, a scar develops and then gets bigger over time.

They probably would have told you if it were more serious, no doubt it will get sent to your GP and if they thought there was a problem, then they would refer you to a gastro.

• Posted

Thanks again waiting to see a doctor now I hope you're right

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.