Confused with what's considered 'Normal' TSH levels?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I started with a TSH of 12.71 in 2015. I've been on 50mg thyroxine since. My current level is 3.9 which my GP thinks is fine. But I've read in other countries that would be considered too high. I feel a lot better since my levels have dropped but still not 100%. What are other people's interpretation of a 'normal' TSH. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I only feel human when my Tsh is less than 1. Yours might be in the normal range but doctors don't always realise what works for some isn't optimal for others. You also need to take into account your t4 and t3 levels as Tsh doesn't give a full picture on its own

• Posted

Many doctors in the US are upset if your TSH is below 1. However if they would run a free T3 and T4 along with the tsh they would see that all is well. The TSH is low because there is no need for your hypothalamus and pituitary To signal for release of thyroid hormone when you have been taking your thyroid meds. If you are on synthetic and unable to convert T4 to the usable form of T3 you will still not feel well. That is when you need to run a Reverse T3 test.  There are many reasons why your own cell receptors cannot attach to T3 and therefore creates reverse T3.  Plus reverse T3 prevents attachment of n T3 to that receptor. Good luck.  Fight for what you need. 
  • Posted

Hi Cosiosi, I'm in the US and although this is in range, thyroid patients usually feel best when TSH is around 1. Some thyroid patients actually feel best on meds when the TSH is near zero. You really have to consider the symptoms because blood levels are really a very small portion of the picture and do not tell a complete story.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.