Confussed by HRT?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Morning all,

have a really important question, 

so I've been on HRT patches since September 2016.

and so far been on 2 different brands

femm7 BUT came off as they were giving me migranes!!

and now on sorry Estradiol 25mg BUT I'm experiencing quite bad fatigue, complete aching body, 

lim confussed by why I'm feeling like this 

i think that again they are not suitable for me!!

so my question is how do u know when u find the right one that suits u?

me I'm 47 and I'm premenapausable!!

any advice please!!.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am assuming you mean 25mcg.  If so, maybe you need stronger.  Also, make sure you have the MX (matrix) one which disseminates the oestrogen over a period of time.

It is often trial and error to get the right strength, so discuss with your dr.  From my many years of reading you are on the best type of oestrogen (it is bioidentical) and I have happily been using it for 27 years.  I too suffer terrible fatigue and aching body but I have haemochromatosis which causes me to absorb too much iron in my body when I stopped menstruating.

Perhaps, coincidentially, you have something else going on at the same time.

• Posted

Hi sheryl for replying.

yes sorry I take 25mcg!!!!

Sorry but unsure what u mean by MX? Disseminates the oestrogen?

im fitted with the Mirena coil, and my GP said that it provides oestrogen? And why I'm on HRT patches,

firstly I was on Femm seven 50mcg each week! but got taken of them as I was suffering with a lot of migranes, 

and hence the reason I take estradiol 25x2 each week!.

but still my body aches lower back pain, had a rubbish Christmas, just need some back up information of others to help with what other alternatives to look at

and got a GP appoitment later with a male ( will he be very knowledgable?)

but I cannot keep on this make I don't think it's working for me!??.

what do u think????????.

• Posted

The non MX oestradiol gives you a hit of oestrogen in one go, whereas the matrix allows your body to absorb it slowly over the period of time that the patch is meant to last (i.e. half a week).

Google the Mirena coil - I have never used it (it is for contraception?) but I saw something on news not so long ago that it was being questioned.  I just had a quick look and did not see anything like I saw on the news (it was French news).  Some women are having problems.  However, I did see it releases progestogen, not oestrogen.

Could the coil be causing lower back pain?

• Posted

Shelly are you still having monthly periods? I'm 47 too but my doctors here in the US don't give hrt if we are still menstruating. Are you in the U.K.? Do they give hrt there for women with regular monthly bleeds? Thanks.

• Posted

Hi CCincal,

yes I still get my monthlys, BUT since September 2015 it's been hit n miss, missed a month, shorter the longer periods and period pains like from hell!

right back to when I began my periods, awful lower pain in the stomach, 

• Posted

Mine come monthly but the days are erratic. The shortest at 20 days and then can be 26 days. I get the pain too in my ovaries left and right. Right now the biggest problem is gerd and LPR or silent acid reflux. I feel like I've swallowed a huge rock and it's lodged in my chest and throat. It's been 3 months now and I've tried all the meds to no help.

I think U.K. Doctors are more open to giving hrt. It's not protocol I guess here until after menopause.

I had the fsh test done too. I was 14 last year. Had it done recently and it was 11. I've not heard of that-going backwards. Has anyone?

• Posted

Hi CCincal,

btw, yes I'm from the UK,

and another thing although I get a period it's not red (blood) its more brown?

and maybe a little or none of the blood? So much so that the periods are becoming erratic?

I had a blood works done to see what was happening to me as I was getting a lot of different symptoms, this reviled I was 17.1 ( which if ur reading is over 13( think) then u premenapausable!!!!!!.

and was given advice about HRT as I'm already fitted with the coil.

hope that little bit helped with ur quiry?.

• Posted

I had the Mirena for a while.  It supplements progesterone, not estrogen.  Some women are sensitive to progesterone and this can cause things like joint pain, migraine, depression, stomach upsets and fatigue (that's what happened to me).

Your current problems may be progesterone related, or maybe you're not getting enough oestrogen, or, maybe a mixture of the two?!

It can take a while to sort out correct doseages so try and make sure you have a GP who's ok with prescribing HRT and is fairly knowledgeable about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.