Congenital hip dislocation

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everybody, i am 30 year old girl with congenital hip dislocation, and i had 3 operations when i was 2 years old. Now doctors told me that i can do the THO, but because i have no pain at all, i am not sure if the operation would be usefull for me or not?

if you were me, would you do the operation just to decrease limitation of motion, when you had no pain?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi im 19 and have the same thibg but im not convinced the name is right for my condition as my joint and socket have been fused together since i was 1 year. Iv had 10 operations but am still in constant agony and have recently bern put on the sick. Im currently waiting for my thr as i know it will improve my life. What do you think isbest for you? Do you think you need a hip replacement yet?
    • Posted

thanks honey for your reply, you know i think the operation will not satisfy me today, maybe in some years, when i will have pain, the thr would be the best way for me.

what would you do if you had no pain?

• Posted

If i was pain free i wouldnt do it because it wouldnt see me out and id have to get another yhen it becomes an issue. The only reason im getting mine is because i dont have any quality of life
    • Posted

thanks honey for helping

it seems 'pain' is the most important reason...

wish you long happy life without any pain.

• Posted

Yes its deffo the decider. I advise you to make the most out of life being pain free i plan to after my op
  • Posted

i think it comes down to ur quality of life can you still live a normal life, im 5 weeks thr and im 26 i wad in constant pain daily couldnt walk far, couldn't stand etc.....i had an mri and my surgeon said my hip wouldng hold out much longer so i Had to go for it but i would hold off as long as possible because ur natural hip is better...but if yr suffering go for it. :-)
    • Posted

thank you so much for helping, i still have no pain, and just some limitation in some kind of sitting , i can walk and stand on my feet  about 30 min each time,

so you mean i hold as log as i can..... 

• Posted

yes defo a last resort! i would hold out i was taking morphine daily up all night apprently my atitude and i changed as a person my family tell me now i was horrible because i was in constant pain...ive had some complications but i will get there eventually!

good luck to you xx

• Posted

honey im really happy to hearing that you are much better than before...constant pain makes the person ready to exposure!!!

fortunately i dont use any analgesicks now....

i completely can understand your complications,i think all of us would have it before the operation.

wish you good and short recovery and happy long life after that.... :x

• Posted

Sara

I would wait until you are in pain or the joint starts deteriorating, unless the limitations are really effecting your quality of life.

I had the same as a child and have lived with limitations, however recently have had more and more pain so decided to go for the hip replacement.

The recovery has been a lot harder than I expected and as there as so many risks involved, in my opinion if you can live with it then wait a little longer.

Good luck with your decision.

Sarah

• Posted

Dear Sarah

thank u so much honey for your reply. the recovery is one of the things im worry about, thanks for saying about it....

as you said, some of the limitations have been with me from the childhood, so i know what to do with them, but taking new risks because of the operation, maybe make some new limitationas which are strange for me....

thanks again and be happy and healthy in all your life.

• Posted

Hi Sara,

I too suffered from CDH and had my first replacement at 30 so our stories are very similar. I was in a lot of pain, taking around 12 tablets a day to manage it and it was causing me to become very depressed, I couldn't even put my own socks on.

For me the op wasn't a massive success and I've two revisions in the space of 5 years but I wouldn't change anything. I no longer take tablets, and very rarely have pain, putting socks on is still an issue but I'm working on it.

Whatever you decide be prepared to be for a complete roller coaster of emotions.

• Posted

its very good to hear from you honey with similar stories, yeah ofcourse putting my socks is very difficult but i havent give up yet....

happy for you to get no more analgesticks, and im sure it is a good reason for you to do your best to get better and better....

your last sentence would be a highlight for me, whenever i decide to do the thr, 

thanks alot for your reply and have a happy long life....

• Posted

I saw my surgeon and he said I could have a hip replacement, but only when I came in begging for it. Which I did in the end. So I would suggest you wait until you really really want it.
    • Posted

thanks alot for your reply honey,

"begging for it"! what a helpful sentence....

this sentence really does alot for me,

many many thanks and i wish you the best......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.