Conjunctivitis - Maybe not

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been treated for what my local surgery has diagnised as conjunctivitis.  I am not so sure.  Last February 10, 2016, i had a molar removed.  It was located right at the back of the left side of face.  It had undergone a root canal in 1992 and had become infected.  About a week later, I noticed a iny little "pimple" locatedin the middle of my lower eyelashes.  The nurse said it ws stye.  I did not agre, but follwed her recommendation of using hot compresses on it.  nothng happend,  About ten days later, I say my GO who said it was a blocked eyelash follicle.  I follwed the same regime.  It eventually disappeared, but then  started to notice irritation starting from that point and out to the outer corner of the eye,  

About six weeks ago, I started to use accupressure points and movements down the side of my nose and then out across my cheekbone toward my ear to clear nasal congestion and an area of congestion close to my nose.  It looked ike a pouch of fluid, but I have had this condtion for most of my adult life.  It seems to have diminished in size.

However, to the left of my eye there appeared to be a "sac" of fluid and the eye developed conjuntivitis like symptoms.  Several prescriptions, and have been prescribed fusidic acid.  I had been using it for about ten days and my GP advised me to stop last Sunday, which I did.  It was OK for a day or so. with very vew sypmtoms, but the eye was still bloodshot and sensitive.  

The eye seems alright for a few hours in the morning, and then will flare up again, particularly in the cold and wind.  So, I have gone back to the prescription.

I have called the surgery and left a message for the GP describing what is going on.  The pouchy sac to the left of the eye appears to be diminishing in size, but the eye still tears.  I suggested that it might be a good idea to be put on a course of antibiotics, allthough I know that GPs are reluctant to prescribe them, although the Fusidic is an antibiotic, but it may not be hitting the source of the trouble, just the symptoms -my eye!

I am wondering if there is a connection between what is going on wiith my eye and the extraction of the infected molar?  No antibiotics were prescribed, and I was told that any bacteria would drain.  I suspect that there is a connection between the two events.  It is too much of a conicidence.

Woner if anyone else on the forum has experienced anything of this sort, or has any idea what is going on,  It is worrying, and is affecting the quality of my life.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear tallulah,

Don't know anything about the teeth but I can tell you that my husband had the little white bumps on his eyelids and the doctor said it was Blepharitis

My daughter started to get a stye on her eyelid.

Both of them used the Wet Ones, antibacterial handwipes, and the problems are gone now. 

It seems the stye was a bacterial infection along with the Blepharitis being one too.

If you are not allergic to fabric softeners and detergents or lanolin or have sensitive skin you could give them a try and see if it helps you.

I had a Dr prescribe antibioitics 3 times to put in my eye. The problem was on my lashes. When I asked him about it he said that some gets on the lashes.

There was an online Dr that said to use the antibiotic in an "off label" way and put them on the lashes. The antibiotic needs to go on the problem.

You should ask the Dentist again about the connection to your problem.

If it is a Staph problem on the eye the wipes should work or Tea Tree Oil is another option on this site too. 

Hopie this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi Linda:

?I have just found your message.  The site does not alert to messages.  Problem is that I did not see my regular doctor. So, another diagnosed the Blepharitis - I don't have it!  My usual GP did a thorough examination of the eye, and immediately took me off Fusidic Acid that the prevous GP had presrcribed.  It has majorly aggravated the eye, needlessly as there was no sign of infection, ulcer, or anything else.  So, all I am doing is using cold compresses.  They eye is still bloodshot after a week off the acid.  Hardly surprising, and ths seems a very extreme form of medication, at best, so no wonder my eye is protesting.

Many thanks for your support and advice.   

• Posted

Hi Lynda

?My problem is not conjunctivitis or blepharitis.  I had no blepharitis symptoms, but did have some symptoms conistent with conjunctivitis.  However, I saw yet another GP last week, who has referred me to an opthamologist.  The GP has referred me on the basis of Lacrimal Oculoplastic.  In other words, there is a problem with the tacrimal sac and its connectin to my upper tear duct which is slightly enlarged.  My eye us bloodshot, due to the irritation, and producing tears - left eye, only. 

?Fortunately I have managed to get an appointment inn early April, otherwise there woukd be a 4 1/2 month wait for the local RUH!  By which time, I would be wanting jump off a cliff! And, the problem woukkd have worsened.  I have been flagging this since February 2016, and it finally really flared up a year later, in January 2017, and was diagnosed and treated as conjunctivitis and blepharitis, by yet another GP.  I have been seen by at least six different medics, all giving differing diagnoses.

?This condition has been slowly developing over a number of years, but the symptoms were mild, and leading upto the condition that I have now. 

The problem with the NHS is that ten minutes will not cover an issue, too many medics all with differing opinions and methods of dealing with the condition, exhausted staff, and not always sufficient time to read the patient's notes.

My flagging to the surgery what was going on with the eye, mostly fell off the radar and so it was ignored.

?Can't blame the clinicians.  It;s the system! 

• Posted

Dear Tallulah,

I am sorry to hear this. You may have to research everything online for some answers. Print things out so you can go over it again too. If you know what you are talking about a doctor will listen when you tell him it isn't what he thinks it is if you have been down that road before. You just have to be really informed. I know nothing about what you have mentioned. You could google questions on what they can do for--say tacrimal sac. 

You may find there are medicines for some of this.

Sorry, not much help here. I would just start researching.

Lynda79

• Posted

Unfortunately, my own GP was on leave whn the referral was made to an opthamologist.  I have done y own research, and put together the treatment regime described above, which seems to be producing positive results.  My GP agrees that I am correct, and doing the right thing.  Hopefully, the positive results will continue.

?It's the lacrimal gland, as mentioned above, that has been undermined by a problem with the oil ducts along the upper and lower lashline.  The lacrimal sac is located elsewhere, but plays its part in the production of tears. 

I think, finally, I am on the right track.  The main problem is that I have been seen by around six different medics, all with ideas of their own!  Hence the need for my having to do my own research, and then run my findings past my GP upon her return this afternoon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.