Connection between PMR and hives or urticaria?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been DX'd with PMR for about 14 months now. Am currently on 3 mg of prednisone by prescription but usually take 5 mg just to get through the day. I have now contracted a terrible case of urticaria and hives all over my body and am wondering if the PMR and hives might be related. I just had a DR appointment last month but had not contracted the hives at that time.. No other changes that I can think of. When I was younger I did get hives from seasonal allergies but haven't experienced that in decades. Any thought? Thanks.

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Someone on here mentioned urticaria only the other day... it might be in this discussion?

Skin rashes and pmr?. 17 Feb 2014

• Posted

Nothing to do with the question!!     But I love to know how people come by their nicknames on here.  Flipdover is very unusual.  

Regards from nosey Constance.

• Posted

constance my nick name at work and some of my friend called me mad mags, because they said i was, caould not help being happy!
    • Posted

lol, I didn't actually read it before posting :-)

Ah, my name.....I've been called Flip since I was 8 - started by primary school teacher. My real name is Felicity - which doesn't suit me AT ALL! It's interesting how you 'grow into' a name don't you think?

Any way, from there it developed into Flip Dover. Pretty funny huh? I use it all the time and have been seriously considering changing my surname to Dover for quite a while as I'm still using my married name despite being divorced for over 15 years. And I don't like my maiden name either.

• Posted

I've never heard of Felicity being shortened to Flip either!

I suppose one does "grow into" one's name.  As a child I was called Connie, when we moved from Oxford to London lots of people called me Con (I hated that)!  When I moved to Germany, where I still am - after 44 years - people called me Constance and I am rather 'constant' in what I do.

I've always thought it strange when people kept their old married names - especially if it was an unpleasant divorce (well, I suppose it's always unpleasant)!!!

Greetings from C!!!

• Posted

Constanza? That's what I always think when I see your name as I knew a very young Constanza - about the same age as my girls.

I think I have heard of a "Flip"...

• Posted

Hi i have also got the terrible urticaria my body had a measles rash over it plus the white blobs you get, i too had a bad case of hives for four years some eight years ago, i saw a very good gentleman called Dr Apelles at the Keighly alleric clinic, he cured it by me not eating for 2 weeks and being on amino acid drinks.Then i gradually introduced foods to see what it was, yeast and sugar were the main two culprits.

So now i am trying to keep a food diary again, but it is driving me nuts as we speak, 

• Posted

to continue the first post i sent to you, do you have a sore throat as well, as i do and the area around ny neck,chin and face tingles at times, do you have this sensation as well just trying to see if there is a pattern here.
  • Posted

Hi Jon02168

I have had Hives 3 times since having PMR and preds and am just getting over my last bout which has taken 10 days now to subside. I am sure its down to the steroids as I had never had a problem before.

I usually get it on my upper body and arms but take 2 Atarax anti histamine at night which seems to have helped. I have cut our a lot of wheat and sugar but it still returns on a regular basis. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi tavidu, i read your post which you sent to Jon02168, i too have urticaria and take 1 fexofenadine prescribed by the doctor, it does not seem to go away completly.

You say you have it on your upper body, does they apply to your neck as well, as my neck is affected also my eye lids and lips, i am trying to gather as much information as i can, so that when i see my doctor next time i can tell her.

• Posted

Hi margaret, I do get a slight itch around my neck but have never noticed a proper rash and I try to avoid scratching it. Normal places are chest, back and arms and once I got it on my inner thigh. The first time I got it for approx 3 weeks but it seems to have reduced since taking the anti histamines. As normal it always seems worse at night time. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Tavidu, many thanks for your feedback, its seem to be never ending with me, the itching seems to be easier, but the rash and weals are a night mare, and as you say always worse at night.
    • Posted

I did see my doc about it late last year and to start with he didn't even think I had PMR so made me reduce preds from 21mg to 10mg in a week, it was only when I presented myself 10 days later with a flare etc thtat he changed his mind. He thought that the rash etc was also hives but since then I have lost faith in doctors so am dealing with it myself. I would be interested in any feed back if you decide to see your own doctor.
    • Posted

I have the urticaria (hives) as well an angioedema...from the top of my head to the bottoms of my feet. I called the Rheumy DR on Friday and asked if he thought it might be from the PMR itself...or a reaction to Prednisone. His reply was to get off the Prednisone for one week and then call him. I am off two days now and still have the hives (which are worse at night) and blurred vision, tightness in my chest. I don't have a sore throat but it feels like there is a lump in there. Can't sleep...never can. Have pain from the upper half of my right arm to the upper half of my left arm (and everything in between). This is like starting over with the first symptoms I had when I went to the Rheumy DR. I might have to put myself back on 5-6mg where I feel the best.
    • Posted

I  thought it was not safe to come of the pred just like that, 

I dont itch anymore, my eyes are not as puffy, but my lips still tingle, not as often and the cold feeling i used to get all the time only comes on every so often now, my right side of the throat is tender(will tell doc on wednesday)it feels as if there is a lump there, I have taken Fexofenadine for 18 days now, but want to see if i can come off it.

Hope you can get some relieve from it , it is a pain , Please let me know how you go on.

• Posted

Telling you to stop your pred overnight when you are still on 3mg after long term pred is a bit silly, it isn't low enough a dose ot be sure your adrenal glands can cope on their own. And if you still have PMR (which if you felt best at 5mg) all that will happen is the symptoms will resurface as you develop more inflammation - the pred didn't do anything with the underlying cause, it merely manages the symptoms.
    • Posted

sorry - should be (which, if you felt best at 5mg, is likely)...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.