Consistent UTI after antibiotics!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 21, I've suffered uti's since about 17, only ever 3-4 a year, but lately I've been getting the mm so frequently, almost every two weeks. I am not on the pill and have antibiotics as soon as I feel one coming on, the unually clear it along with loads of water but it is reacurring..

I have the worst health anxiety and I've read on some it could be cervical cancer ?!

Helllp, can't live like this any longer, literally waiting until 7am so I can call in sick to work, I've been awake with it since 3!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I suffer with chronic UTI's as well, and they have got worse. It doesn't sound like cervical cancer so I wouldn't worry about that. But what I would do is go to your doctor and explain what's happening and tell them you need to be referred to a urologist who can do some tests. I've had scans, blood tests and even an operation. Still not cleared up. Although since the operation, the infections haven't been so painful/severe.

Sometimes you can have a kink in your urethra which collects bacteria and this can cause constant infections, and a minor op can rectify that. But just tell your doctor and don't let him fob you off with antibiotics all the time! Because they will if they can get away with it.

• Posted

It might not even be an infection. Is your doctor prescribing antibiotics every time?  They shouldn't as the latest protocol is the wait and see approach - send a sample off for culture, wait to see the result then prescribe an appropriate antibiotic.  

Make sure you get a culture done as constantly taking antibiotics repeatedly disrupts your whole body and it takes a while to recover from them.  You need to know if it is an actual infection and if so what the correct antibiotic is.  Do you always get the same one?

• Posted

Hi Zoe.

I've recently been going through the exact same thing. My advice for you is to seek help from a professional immediately. It might not be that serious, but go make an appointment to see a urologist, so you can resolve this quicker. They specialize in finding out what's going on down there. I have an appointment with mine in two days. I'm having them check for every possible problem. Kidney stones, IC, Cervical Cancer. Everything. That way you can start to get to the bottom of what it is if you're able to cross off what ISNT causing your frequent UTI's. Do NOT let your doctor throw more antibiotics at you. They tend to brush off UTI patients. There is a problem, and with a good urologist, it can't be solved and fixed. Best of luck!

-Rylee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.