Constant Acid Reflux For 3 Weeks!

Posted , 29 users are following.

Hi,

ive vey had constant acid reflux for the last 3 weeks. I feel horrendous! 

It it feels like I've drunk a whole bottle of vinegar. My throat is sore. It's making me feel miserable and there has been no restbite from it. 

I've my diet and it's pretty much very alkaline and it's not bad any difference. I've reduced my portion sizes and spread my meals out and nothing- it's still there. Everytime I eat I have acid in my throat minutes after eating and it's there all day even when I've not eaten. 

Ive  had a stool test for H. pylori(Helicobacter pylori) and it's come back negative. I've also had a blood test which came back fine. 

My  doctor prescribed some 20mg ozerprazole which I took for a week. It did nothing. Went back to the doctors a week later and he upped it to 40mg. Another week later and that's not worked. 

I went back back to the doctors today and he has given me some Lansoprazole. 15mg to start with for a week and if that doesn't do anything 30mg for a week. 

He said if that doesn't clear things up he would have to refer me to the gastro people. 

Does anyone know how long the referral process takes and what happens when you go and see them? 

Also so does anyone have any tips to get rid of the vinegar taste in mouth. 

Currently I'm drinking lots of water and chewing a lot of sugar free gum. 

Thanks 

Rob

2 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sounds like to me u may not have enough acid have you tried apple cider vinegar
    • Posted

i have the same problem and its really worrying me sad is it a normal condition? im 19 years old and have been to the doctors but the pills they have given me havnt had any effect yet and ive had them for almost a week now, 
    • Posted

Hey, have you recovered from this reflux? Im in hell amd have been for a year constant reflux. Ppis make it go away but they have horrible side effects.
  • Posted

Not tried apple cider vinegar. Do you drink it neat or diluted?
  • Posted

Mix 3 teaspoons, or up to 1 tablespoon, of apple cider vinegar into 6-8 ounces of fresh water, and drink. You can do this before each meal (probably the most effective,) before bedtime, or 2-3 times during the day. If you feel is worsens your reflux, do not continue to ingest it. Too much may also contribute to the problem.
  • Posted

Thanks. It's a horrible condition. Just hope the new tablets help. Have you suffered with it?
    • Posted

Hello Rob....this sounds exactly like my predicament.  May I ask what the follow-up was like?  How did you finally find relief.

Best!

Paul

• Posted

Hi Rob, I tried omeprazole and lansoprazole both of which didn't work for me. Esomeprazole ( nexium) has worked and healed my stomach and oesophagus. As for referral time, are you in the UK? I know that here you have to be seen within 18 weeks, no comfort when you are in pain, I know, but my waiting time for gastroscopy was about 3 weeks. Hopefully yours will be the same. Also have you tried elevating the head of your bed, plus I take Gaviscon Advance (10ml) after every meal. You can get it on prescription here
    • Posted

Will add nexium to the list smile

Im based in the UK. 

Have found chewing gum helps a bit when it comes on strong. Tried Gaviscon tablets which help a bit and some remegel. 

Not keen on the liquid as it funks my throat up. 

I find it gets worse in the evening. Not having trouble falling asleep but am waking up very early like 4am and struggle to get back to sleep. 

Have be you cut your portion sizes? Yesterday I ate a lot more and it didn't feel any different from how I feeling for the last few weeks or so. I hadn't eaten hardly anything and my energy levels have been terrible so have just told myself to eat more. Have been eating sensible food though. 

• Posted

I got to the point of not eating, too. I've relaxed a lot more in the past few weeks and found that bigger portions are fine. The gaviscon alginate liquid is great if you can manage it. It stops acid coming up. Great before bed. I also stop eating 2 hrs before bed. That really helped too. Definitely try nexium though as it's the best of the bunch and the only one that helped me smile 
    • Posted

Thanks. Will try the Lansoprazole and failing that try Nexium. Is Nexium over the counter? 
  • Posted

Yes very much so I have the horrible volcano neck is what i call it,I just make sure i eat enough and make sure i have some acids because sometimes i get so wrapped up in the pain I Don't eat enough and that can cause the problem to be worse. As soon as I up my food intake I get better. I eat at least 1/2  cup to a cup  of food every hour . Sometimes what works for others doesnt work for you so Trial and error is the best 
    • Posted

I have to agree with Brandy on the trail and error!  I was so frustrated when someone said that liquorice (for example) worked for them, but did nothing for me! Try everything and something will work for you.
    • Posted

I have found that eating food takes it off during eating but then I feel it within a few mins if stopping. 
    • Posted

Same here

I've been finding that I get throat symptoms whatever I do.If I eat only small meals I get it.If I eat normal size meals I get symptoms.Strangely when I got fed up on Christmas day and drank about 5 units of alcohol with plenty of festive fare my symptoms were minimal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.