Constant anxiety/chest pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 19 and have been suffering from health anxiety for about 4 months after some drug use and I have been told it's somatization. At first I was worried I had a lot of diseases but I have had blood tests for differant things.

I have had ECG's which are fine but suffer from constant Chest pain. It's not always a pain but there is always a feeling on the left side and it's hard to think there is not something wrong with my chest. Does anyone else have this?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jim,

have you ever tried focussing really hard on the pain. Close your eyes, breath and focus on the pain/feelings- as if you are writing an essay on it. You might find that by focussing on it it gets worse for a couple of minutes and then it will peak and start to dissipate, soothing both the body and the mind.

This technique is called 'body feeling'.

Give it a go and let me know if you have any results, has worked really well for me in the past.

• Posted

Hi chris, thanks haven't heard of that one il give it a try smile
  • Posted

I hsve it every day and have also had ecgs blood work and chest xrays which were normal my doctors have said its probably nerve pain and that i also have mild costochondritis yet it doesnt stop me thinking its my heart so am currently waiting on counselling so your not alone and i know what your going through and its awful.
    • Posted

Hi Zoe thanks for reply.I'm having some counselling as well which has kind of helped. Excersise and fresh air had helped me more but yeah it's just so annoying when it's your chest as I'm always worried it's my heart.
  • Posted

hi jim. yes, i've had chest pain but it was due to low vitamin b12. however, if ur chest pain IS due to anxiety secondary to somatization, have a try of a technique called emotional freedom tecnique or eft for short. it's easy to learn and self- apply with no side-effects. have a google for the theory/info. and u - tube do good demos. it always works for me.

best luck

Caitlin

• Posted

Anxiety really causes a lot of different symptoms. Stress and anxiety causes so many different health issues, from chest pain, heart palpitations, headaches, muscle twitching, the lists goes on. Since I have started meditstion and learning how to bresth etc, I have found that a lot of my symptoms have gone. I do it daily and just listen to it in bed or when relaxing. Concentrating on changing your mind set can be very rewarding and make a lot if difference to the way you see the world. Since I e been doing this I e be one a lot more relaxed, I dont rush like I did, and I can cope in pressurised situations. If you'd like anymore info pls feel free to ask.
  • Posted

Hey Jim i have been having sharp center chest pain i had an EKG run on me docs said i was perfectly fine i even went up and down a lot of stairs the other day all day and my chest didn't hurt in the slightest but today it does i try to remind myself it's not my heart but something else so i understand the worry today wasn'tthe best my chest has been hurting on and off so that hasnt help but talking about it and getting reassurance does help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.