Constant anxiety when my children are ill

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I am 24 and a mum of 3 children 4, 2 and 4months over a year ago I started having really bad panic attacks and a general feeling of anxiety it started when my 2 eldest were constantly ill for 2 months, I feel constantly anxious when my children are unwell i have the feeling that i cannot cope even though i no i can, i won't let them go to soft play or use public toilets, go to friend houses on play dates i am terrified of germs i constantly clean with detol bleach anything that kills germs, wash my hand and their hands when they have played with other children's toys, i make my self physically ill with worry, even though i no that common illnesses rarely cause and harm to them, my son who is 4 months old had bacterial meningitis 5 weeks ago and during the whole time i constantly cried though the worst of the situation even though i was reassured by doctors and my husband that he was doing well. When they are ill have to constantly clean and wash everything i really hate the feelings and have defiantly got worse over the past few months. what can i do? i am currently on 10mg of citalopram which isn't even touching it, but i really don't want tablets to be a long term answer    

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

it IS super scary when ur little ones are sick! meningitis is terrifying! so glad that your baby is recovered. it is normal to feel anxious after going through that ordeal. you were scared for your baby's life! give yourself permission to work through being scared. you remember feeling terrified and it is a horrible feeling. maybe now u can focus on the successful recovery and living in the moment of being lucky to have three children to love! little bit of dirty is ok - it will actually help their immune systems to be stronger. maybe start with washing with plain soap and water. dettol isn't good in the long run but gives you a sense of control now. maybe you can take little steps to talk yourself down from being being protective. you're a caring mum whi wants her kids to be the best they can be! just don't key yourself get lost in that - they need their mum to be healthy and happy, too. tell your gp you've become really afraid of germs and maybe he/she can get you some help. talking to a therapist could help you. in the meanwhile, hang in there. good luck!
  • Posted

You have your hands full right now. We all get scared when our kids fall ill. Take one day at a time. Before you know it your little ones will be grown. It goes so fast.pediatric doctors are the most caring amd patient of all the doctors and it sounds like you are a superb mom and just your nerves are frazzled right now. I used to wask everything all the time too, haha many do that. Im not sure if its a correct thing because you want the kids to have strong immune systems. But id say its okay. Give yourself a break here these are the busiest years in a moms world. Germs are eberywhere but its fine to be careful when they are babies or under three yers old. They cant talk so you have that extra stress of guessing. Germs are needed so when they are older their bodies can fight whatever comes their way. Id say you need a warm bath and to repax but its almost not possible until your youngest is about three, then it will begin to get easier and easier.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.