Constant bleeding - perimenopause? Hysteroscopy needed?

Posted , 121 users are following.

Hi,

I've had continuous bleeding for a few months - the period stops for a few days and then starts again, sometimes with clots.

I had hysteroscopy with biopsy about 1.5 years ago( had then some spotting between periods), didn't feel great for a month after that, and the results were ok, had an ultrasound a few days ago which is ok. Now the gynaecologist suggests another hysteroscopy. Is it necessary to have it? Will I be having them every year until it stops? Are there any other tests to make sure that its perimenopause and nothing sinister?

Thanks

6 likes, 176 replies

176 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Polly, I am going thru a similar thing right now. I don't have the continual bleeding mine was a full blown period after 14months without one. Like u had ultrasound and I am having biopsy next week. Ultrasound looked OK a small fibroid,but nothing significant. The way I am looking at this is better safe than sorry. Some gals breeze thru meno others are not that lucky. It is such a nuisance, but I figure an hour in the gyno having biopsy may possibly save my life and at 56 I have a lot more living to do!!! I will keep u updated and I hop u do the same. Feel better.…...stay strong!!!
  • Posted

hello Polly

I am in year 8 of peri, and when I first started peri, aged 41 ish ( i am 49 now) I too had the same problem, i bled for almost 21 months, with not many breaks, sometimes heavy heavy, then spotting, and it was 21 months for me.. I was lucky to get three days with out anything in a row...

I too had a hysteroscopy all was fine, I had camera in bladder, all was fine, also ultra sound as had cysts but they were not serious, but a nuisance... I had 3 times fainting, and always felt dizzy etc, had to eat little and often, for me it was start of peri ... ( however I had previous the Depo Provera injection for contraception, ( you have it every three months but i only had two injections as I was always bleeding and it lasted 21 months it was awful, I lost weight to the point of looking skeletal... I do feel for you, big hugs Jay...

• Posted

Jay, so you continued the constant bleeding even after the contraception injections? I'm going through the same thing except my just started in the last 1.5 yrs or so. The constant bleeding started 1/2/2015, and has only lightened between 1 to 3 days in a month, but not stopping since then. And I can't find any real pattern to when it will be a light day.

I'm considering birth control because in the paSt when the doctors have it to me, it was for my dysmenorhea (severe periods, cramping, clotting). And it seemed to reduce my period days. I was hoping that may be the answer. I have an appointment next week to discuss with a new doctor. I'm have to wear a tampon and pads, because some moments are heavier than others, and you never know when. Ugh!

Cats

• Posted

Hi Cats 

i went from 21 months constant bleeding ranging from heavy, normal, light and spotting with about two days free in 21 months ..

i was age 39 almost at the time and i was also in peri menopause - that followed.. I then had a 10 years natural peri menopause ( no hrt ) and now ages 51 i am 22 months post menopause 

what age are you

jay x

• Posted

This is PURE HELL and my nerves are shot.  I turned 51 in February and in March I got a period that lasted over three weeks.  I went to gynecologist.  He says I have fibroids, which I already knew.  He put me on pills called megestrol.  He said it was a miracle drug that would stop the bleeding and shrink the fibroids.  It's three months later and I am still bleeding.  At first, the pill megestrol did stop the bleeding but then I started bleeding again.  Let me make sure I understand you correctly … you stated that you bled for 21 months (as in close to two years) with not many breaks.  You said you had maybe three days in a row without any bleeding.  Is that correct?  How did this finally resolve? I am so sorry for what you went through.  Are you ok now?  I am desperate.  I went back to gynecologist two days ago and he's running a bunch of tests.  I have read that other women have had similar bleeding that went on and on.  I am flabbergasted at what I am learning on this website.  How does this resolve?  

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay

I’m new to this forum, I need your advise, I’m turning 48 this October, My history is Menorrghea, Endometriosis, I would say 5 years from now, My menstrual period got really crazy, some skip months, severe heavy bleeding, lighter to spotting and lots of big huge clots, Iast December, I started to bleed non-stop until March so I went to Gyn gave me birth control pills progestin but didn’t take it because I’m scared to have breast cancer, so I went to another Gyn Dr. prescribed Depo Provers shot to stop the bleeding, it did stop for 3 weeks after the first shot then starts to bleed again till I took the second shot never ending blood, huge blood clots, gained 15 pounds which I hated so much, I thought the shot will help the problem but it got worse, next week is my due for 3rd shot which is definitely not going to happened, the doctor wants to do endometrial ablation but I’m worried for the complications to happen in the future nor hysterectomy also doesn’t my option, I want to keep my uterus as much as possible, I’m so frustrated with this bleeding, is this going to stop? Are there any alternative or natural hormone supplements? 

• Posted

Thank you for your replies.

Jay - did you have to repeat the hysteroscopy during these years? Were you offered Mirena?

• Posted

Hi Polly, so for late response .. just moved house over the weekend, so bedlam here..

no I didnt have a follow up hysteroscopy, as all was looking healthy, but did have ultra sounds when I had these follicular cysts that got quite large.. they said a period normally makes them disappear, which did eventually...

but... when i was in my 30's I did have endometriosis and had to have a laperoscopy and laser treatment for the adhesions, the surgeon said it may return in 5 years this was 20 odd years ago now, ( i am age 49 now) but luckily it did not return... at that time she gave me an option of a hysterectomy but I chose not to and glad I didnt as it didnt return...

sorry but I do not know what Mirena is ... when I had endometriosis I was put on Danazol OMG I gained so much weight, but after the laser I didnt need it and the weight fell off again.. I am in 8th year of Peri and do not take HRT . Jay x

• Posted

Did you get the option of local anethestic for your hysterscopy?  I can see me having to have this because of my continuous spotting.

I’m very anxious and have been on antidepressants for many years.

• Posted

Hi. I had this problem last year , I'm 51 now. I had long heavy periods with clotting and felt utterly exhausted. On one if my visits to my gp, he mentioned that the more anaemic you are, the more you bleed. I started myself straight away on an iron and vitamin supplement. Quite soon my periods became more normal again and when I had a blood test a while later, I was only slightly anaemic so kept on them for a short while longer and now I'm back to normal. It's just a thought but that may be part of the problem.
    • Posted

This is the first I have ever heard anemia causing heavy periods!  Always your anemic because of heavy periods.  I was diagnosed with low iron last year and havent been taking my supplements and have been experiencing sporadic irregular bleeding and am now having heavy periods with clotting. im going to start them back up and hope this helps.
    • Posted

This is very ingesting. I haven't been taking my vitamins as regularly because I've gotten so busy it slips my mind. I will set an alarm to remember and see if getting back to my routine helps some.

Thanks for sharing.

Cats

• Posted

Hi Patricia

you mention iron tabs, I started taking these about 3/4 weeks ago, quite strong, they are 105mg, i halve them will pill splitter to 52.5mg, i have been discussing these on the other peri pages on here, as I feel totally great, and wished I had taken them years ago, i was rock bottom a month ago. and now I cannot sit down, my energy is back, my aches have virtually gone, my blood tests never suggested lack of iron, but I took iron years ago when pregnant as all pregnant women are given them, and i always said I had more energy when I was pregnant than I have ever had in my life... these have been a fantastic for me, which is brill as I have just moved house so needed some energy back, they certainly work for me they suggest to take with vit C as that helps the iron absorption, i dont take hrt, only natural remedies, but this has been a god send, taken each morning on waking on empty stomach, expect dark stools this is normal with iron... jayx

• Posted

Hey.. My mother is goin thru menopause.. Shes having periods since a lot of months now.. Doc gave her a birth control pill course for like 20 days.. Bleeding started soon after the crse finished..dey did her dnc dn.. It dint work..did put the mirena dn but it dint stop the bleeding too.. Shez having bleeding which is not very heavy.. But is quite  constant.. Please can any one tell if dis is normal.. Or any suggestions on what we shud do now.. Herultra  sound was also normal.. Please give any suggestions .. My mum feels really weak now becuz of the cntinuous bleeding... 
    • Posted

Hi 

your mum needs to go back to the doctor ..

i bled for 21 months in peri menopause .. i got weak and fainted 3 times ..

she may need an iron supplement..

if ultra sound okay then theres no cysts or fibroids..

i took no hormones for mine i just had to suffer 21 months of bleeding from heavy to normal to light to spotting .. hardly had two days clear in 21 months..

tell your mum to get herself some Mega B6 100mg complex time release 

must have 100mg of B6 in it .. ' holland and barret '

she should really see the doctor again he may give iron or change the treatment 

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Sam

forgot to say..

my 21 momths of bleeding did stop and then my periods were not regular ..

then i had years of peri menopause 

no hysterectomy as everything was okay ..

it does get better tell your mum..

i am in menopause  now  all is good now ..

many ladies have erractic bleeding ... but if your mum has had an ultra sound and all okay you say .. then no need for hysterecromy surely..

a D&C scrapes the lining of the uterus ( womb) which is what a woman bleeds out ... i had one years ago, very simple and home same day, felt fine after even cooked some pancakes like nothing had been done..

i had my D&C before peri menopause and before my 21 months of bleeding though... 

I feel for your mum as the bleeding gets you down.. but B complex and iron will help... see the Doc again

jay xx

• Posted

Thankyouu so much for ure help.. I jus wnted to ask if this is normal and nthing serious becuznone of mi mothers sisters also went thru dis kind of menopause.. And secondly the doc told her dat if da perioid dint stop now she will have to remove the uterus.. Do u think she shud do that or wait for it to stop naturally..

thankyouuu...!

• Posted

I am 52 now and started these heavier periods @48. Had a ultrascan that came up with 2 small fibroids - common at this stage and should shrink in menopause. I have just had my first month with heavy periods lasting 3 weeks so far. one day spotting next day flooding for a bit. I have been taking transamic acid and mefenamic acid combo for about a year which did reduce the bleeding - now this. Went to Dr who said to go for blood tests and see Dr again in 2 weeks. Nothing much they can do apart from the Mirena coil and surgery. I had the Mirena 5 yrs ago, periods were heavier and then it came out. Am I at the later stages before my periods stop and how long can this last stage of perimenopause last?
    • Posted

Can you please tell me how many  months did your mom bleed?  Was it constant non stop bleeding?  I am desperate and hate this so much. I am so sorry for all of the women who have gone or are going through this.  I had a period that last for over three weeks, so the doctor put me on pills called megestrol, which was supposed to stop bleeding and shrink fibroids.  Initially the pills did stop the bleeding but now it's back in spite of me taking the pills.  For how many days or months in a row did your mom and aunt bleed?? I guess this constant, non stop bleeding during perimenopause is more common than I thought.  Just awful. 

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

I know this is an old post. But I am going through the same as you. Have had bleeding for 3 weeks starting on the 4th. Can you advise is this was a part of perimenopause and how regular you got it.

• Posted

Yes, I would like to know too. Im going on three weeks of bleeding also. Is this normal for perimenopause?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.