Constant cystitis!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've suffered from reocurring cystitis ans UTI infections since ive been 16 ( 21 now). I finally got reffered to a urologist after years of constant DRs appointments and discomfort. Sometimes i feel as i have a raging infection but when i have urine sampled its clear, the urologist told me urine samples often had blood in. Last monday I had a cystoscopy where they could see quite bad cystitis and LUT irritation. Also I had to have urethal dilatation due to my bladder not emptying properly. The doctor said that within a week I should feel back to normal.. Ive got the worst cystitis I have ever had constant stinging pain and very painfull to pass urine. Just wondering has anyone else suffered after having this procedure done? I was hoping to feel much better by now

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rachel,  That must be awful....  I haven't had surgery, but I did have recurring cystitis last year, and know what a total misery it is. I found D-Mannose helped enormously.  Its a natural sugar substance and the way it apparently works is its particular molecules bind to the bacteria which cause the problem and it is then flushed out.  I was sceptical, but read a lot on online reviews where other women had said it had changed their lives/should be available on the NHS.  Anyway I take one capsule a day as a preventative, and if I feel it flaring up I take the powdered form in water.  You can buy it online, I got from Amazon.  Might be worth a try, even if it eases it a bit, - I do hope things improve for you soon, best, Linda
    • Posted

Thanks so much for the reply Linda! 

I will definatley look into getting some D-Mannose , tried alot of different things over the years and havent heard of that before so would be worth a try. It is very frustrating being in constant pain and discomfort but I just hope this bout of cystitis is caused by how invasive the urological procdure has been , especially as cystitis was evident the day I went for the operation. I have a follow up appointment in a few weeks to further discuss the results of what has been found I just hope its not intersitial cystitis!! sad

xxx

• Posted

It definitely is!  I can attest to that!!!  It's a sadistic procedure--just terrible!!!!!!  I won't ever do it again!  
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

As I woke this morning knowing that I've got yet another UTI (I get them regularly) I decided to research to see if there was anything I could do to avoid yet another course of antibiotics. Anyway I found your posting and have just ordered D-mannose. It should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I'm drinking as much water as I can and hoping this dreadful pain will deminish without me getting a Dr's appointment..

I will update you when I take it.

• Posted

Also modify your diet to avoid coffee, chocolate, alcohol, tomato, vinegar, sugar, anything acidic, strawberries, and citrus.  You might have irritated bladder wall lining, and not actual infections.  Try oregano oil pills as well it helps in either the case of infection or ic.
    • Posted

Hi Jayive,

Its miserable, I know.  I think if its really bad already you may need to see Dr, but I would also say that if its set in you'd need to take quite a number of glasses of water with the powder dissovled in to make an impact, - like a lot of these things best if you can catch in ther early stages I think.  I'm not an expert so I would hesitate to say a maximum amount, but I think you just have to use common sense.

I feel for you.  I've got quite a high pain tolerance, - I've done childbirth twice with no pain relief, one of my sons was almost 10lbs, and I'm quite small... but cystitis has had me reduced to tears in a way that nothing else did.  I hope it goes well for you.  Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your support. As you say it was less painful giving birth than having cystitis.

I took sample to GP it was dip-stick positive and sent to laboritory and I was given antibiotics for 5 days. I drank so many glasses of water and had to go running to the loo so many times last night but it feels a bit easier today. The D=mennose hasn't arrived yet - I ordered tablets, should I also get the powder in ready for the next time I get cystitis?

Thanks Jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay,

Sorry meant to get back to you sooner, been a bit manic.  Well I would say I'm not any kind of medical expert so this is only what I have found works for me, although it sounds like it does for others too.  I take one capsule a day in the morning as a preventative.  The powder I have when I think it may be flaring up, and I feel it works quicker and more effectively, possibly as it flushes the system out more effectively.  I've heard other women say its a good idea to have before and after sex (a teaspoon in water) if that is something which tend to be a trigger.  Personally I would recommend having the powder to hand.  Its also something I always take when travelling.  Do hope its improving for you, - let me know.  Take care, Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I have ordered the powder and already received the tablets which I will start taking daily as you suggest and hopefully that will be the end to my UTI problems. Thanks for your help, take care, Jay x

• Posted

I don't think there is any info on the tub, but I was dissovling about two teaspoons in a large glass of water
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I now have the d-mannose power in the cupboard waiting till needed. I also emailled a national high street chain (better not name them but they have two surnames) to ask why they did not stock d-mannose. They tell me it;s the same as cranberries and apples and also sent me a list that, they say, will also work so here below is their recommendation, I was particularly interested in the lavender oil suggestion. What do you think,

Unfortunaltey we do not sell D-Mannose as a supplement, however D-Mannose can be obtained naturally from apple and cranberry juice.

There are two forms of cystitis: bacterial cystitis (BC) and interstitial cystitis (IC).

BC is best addressed through use of the herb Uvi Ursi. This has anti-bacterial qualities to help directly tackle the E. coli bacteria which causes BS and also diuretic properties to then help flush these through the system. This is suitable for short term use only to actually address the BS when a person is affected by it.

If the BS is recurrent then I would suggest the use of a cranberry concentrate supplement. Cranberry contains an active ingredients which work to stop the bacteria which causes BS from binding to the lining of the urinary tract; this results in the bacteria being excreted in the urine and so can reduce the chances of BS occurring.

In terms of dietary advice, a diet low in sugar, saturated fat and alcohol has been shown to speed recovery and reduce the risk of re-infection if the cystitis is recurrent. Furthermore, food sensitivities have been shown to increase susceptibility to the infection and so you may wish to keep a food diary and monitor incidence of infection linked to ingestion of certain foods or drinks.

I would also suggest the use of lavender essential oil massaged into the lower abdominal region as this essential oil has both anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. This should be diluted with a carrier oil such as Sweet Almond Oil at a concentration of 5 drops to 10mls of carrier oil.

all the best Jay

• Posted

Most painful procedure of my life--don't want to ever do it again!!!!  Ouch!!!!!!!!!

It dies down after a couple of weeks.  It's brutal.  So sorry about that.  You must change your diet, and start taking oregano oil pills--that helps quite a bit.  I take 6 a day during terrible outbreaks.  It seems to help.  Then I take 1 or 2 a day after the worst of things.  I couldn't believe how brutally aweful that procedure was!!!  Take loads of probiotics too.  This can help.  Avoid chocolate, alcohol, tomato, vinegar, sugar, anything acidic, strawberries, citrus, coffee--essentially all the good things in life.  Sorry, but that's our lot.  At least we are alive and kicking. wink  

• Posted

Thanks for the post!

Ahhh glad its not just me that feels so lousy!! I was told the pain would die down but OH MY GOD its terrible. Been thinking of taking a trip to the hospital for a check up as I have been feeling so bad. I have been taking oral medicine to hopefully treat the cystitis but its so bad im not sure that its going to work!! sad also had thrush after being on antibiotics so that really doesnt help matters either! 

Thanks for the tips! Really appreciate it smile xx

• Posted

If you have thrush, take neem oil pills along with the oregano oil pills.  That might help with the thrush along with a boatload of probiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.