Constant Eye Strain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey Guys,

?I have been getting eye strain on and off for the last two years, each time it is lasting longer.

My general symptoms are:

- terrible eyepain EVEN WHEN YOU SHUT YOUR EYES (E.G. AT NIGHT)

?- soreness that doesn’t go away whether you are awake or asleep

- onset through deep and widespread sense of diffused pain

- almost throbbing – but constant – pain in the temple

- chronic pain seemingly inside or behind the eyeballs

- a dragging sensation of irritation and abrasiveness 

- heavy tired eyelids that feel totally exhausted when you squeeze/ blink

- photosensitivity (eyes burn when looking at a computer screen or TV or even while driving) 

- sensation of being swollen

I have been to three highstreet opticians: Specsavers, Boots and most recently Vision express who presscibed me prism lenses about a week ago, my eye test results are attached.

?I have had the prism lenses for just under two weeks and have eye strain again. I am not sure whether I need to give them a little bit longer to get used to them.

?I have just been to the GP to see if they can refer me to the NHS eye unit, but they said they would not refer me and I don't have a problem. This GP in particular was very patronising and unhelpful.

?I have done everything you can think of including optimising my workstation to reduce eyestrain, eye exercises, taking regular breaks, using the 20:20:20 rule.

?I even took a week off work and had little to no screen time, but it did little to alleviate the issue. I am now out of ideas. The only thing I can think of next is to ask the optician to refer me to the eye hospital, but I am worried they will have the same opinion as the GP.

?HELP!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Alex, has anyone suggested to you that you may have dry eye syndrome?

Your eyes require you to blink periodically, in order to lubricate them.  Staring at screens tends to make you forget to blink, then your eyes become dry, sore & photophobic.  Try buying a bottle of lubricating eye drops, sometimes known as artificial tears.  There are a huge variety to choose from  but I would start with a generic bottle, such as Tesco's own or Sainsbury's own.  It is sometimes necessary to use them every half hour if you are concentrating on something.

Screens might include computer, phone, television, driving.

Yes, an Optician can refer you & if he doesn't think it is necessary, he will give you the reason in plain language.

Good luck

• Posted

Mrs Mop is thinking the same as me and has taken the words out of my mouth as to how to treat it.  Dont neglect this as it can become worse if not treated.

Not exactly sure why you have prism lenses but I find that I cannot use varifocals for screen work and have to use a pair of ordinary prescription reading glasses from the optician.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.