Constant Headache for 7 months, what could it be?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm a 20 year old female and I work as a hairdresser. I've been having headaches for the past 7 months which seem to creep up on my and become a permanent thing.

The headache vary in intensity each day but is always there. It can go from a dull fuzzy feeling to a pulsing headache to a stab other days. Im also feeling tired, pain behind eyes and in face and jaw some times. They are mainly right sided but sometimes are all over. They majority of the time are accompanied with pain in the neck and at base of the skull.

I have been to the doctors many times over the months and have just been given every tablet going. They sent me to see a 'neurologist' to sort out an MRI scan. At this appointment I spoke to a lady who wrote down notes of everything I explained to her and she took them to show another lady whom I assume was the neurologist. She came back with its a continues headache with migraine tendencies diagnosis , and said I wouldn't need to be seen again and to try a cocktail of different drugs... MRI came back clear and I was told by the doctor over the phone it will just go on it's own. Which I find hard to believe. I have also never been sent for any blood work.

I'm feeling really lost in what to do next as success with the doctors is next to nothing as there only course of action is to keep drugging me up without trying to find an actual cause of the pain. The constant pain is very tiring and wears you down. I'm thinking it could be my posture from being a hairdresser or it could be to do with my bite with the jaw pain. I just want to feel like my old self again without this headache. Any suggestions or has anyone felt like this?

Thanks in advance !

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

To get some relief I would suggest you get a aromatherapy massage therapy and let them know you suffer from headaches. Most places know the trigger points in your head and can provide such relief. I have suffered from headaches /migraines for 18 years. It's a matter of finding the right medication to prevent migraines. If you just suffer from headaches now it could be caused by many things so getting testing done by doctors is important to rule out anything serious. I would also recommend chiropractic care to see if it is an alignment issue especially if you are on your feet all day.

I hope you get relief soon.

• Posted

I had.a similar  headache and it might be  worthwhile going to see a physio -she helped me with excercises and posture . I hope this works for you 
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, I feel having my head down all day looking at client and bending , it could be from my neck , did physio help stop your headaches or just make then less severe?
  • Posted

The potential effect of stress really can't be underestimated, it might be the root cause of all your unpleasant sensations.

It's also, very definitely, worth your while to monitor your fluid intake levels. Years ago, I read an article that said that the commonest, single cause of headaches, for women, is dehydration. I'd been having a lot of the similar problems that you're having. I increased the amount of water that I drank, daily, and rarely had any more headaches, for years. If you try this, check what the healthy levels of fluids are, for your size/gender.

I hope you find a solution really soon.

• Posted

Hi Hem,

sounds like your suboccipotal muscles in your neck, base of your skull. When they tighten up you get headaches. I had the same thing. My doctor prescribed a muscle relaxant, Tizandine, which I take occasionally. It has helped. Plus I do neck exercises, take Epsom baths and use Ben gay at the back of my neck. Google su occipital muscles!

good luck 

• Posted

Do you not get headaches anymore Karen after all these changes? Thankyou
    • Posted

They have finally started to lessen. I have not had one in three days. That is a first since since mid June. I can let you know in a few weeks if that is still the case.
    • Posted

Glad to hear that your feeling a little better! Nice to hear something positive , yes hope to hear from you !
  • Posted

spasm of neck muscles  may be the cause due to nature of you job.

but check for blood count for anemia, or hypotension, coz both can give same picture of headache.

all replies were perfect!

• Posted

have you had any liver or kidney tests? if those organs are not working properly you can have toxins in the bloodstream causing headaches
    • Posted

I haven't. My doctor had not sent me for blood work, which myself and family Find ridiculous after all this time!

• Posted

I've had headaches as long as I can remember, and have had two brain scans in the past, both showed nothing was wrong thank goodness. Last Monday I developed a headache that got worse in the evening, it was horrendous, the pain was unbearable, I had the following day of work and paid a visit to the Dr. She came to the conclusion that I was dehydrated as I only drink one cup of coffee a day and nothing else, i told her I wasn't thirsty, she said I had suppressed that feeling but my body hadn't and the headaches was a way of telling me that I'm dehydrated, she also prescribed me with, Tolfenamic acid, since Tuesday i have had a pounding headache and these tablets are helping but not getting rid of the pain permanently, my headache is worst today and I'm hoping that the tablet I have just taken with start to work soon. Also I've started drinking a lot more, about a litre a day, I was kind of hoping that my headaches would stop, but no sign yet.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. Unexplained headaches seem to be so common , and so draining and exhausting but no answers. Keep me posted if you get any relief x
  • Posted

Hi there! I've been having chronic headaches for 2 years now. They're daily and don't go away. Constant headache. They do change in intensity throughout the day but can get very bad. No help from doctors, neurologist, chiropractor, dentist...etc. definitely life changing and depressing. Have you received any relief?

• Posted

I haven't found any, im now getting bad pain in my neck on either side, and behind the ear, and in my back, doctors are no use, the impression I get it's not life threatening so I don't matter , and they just throw tablets at me, very frustrating. I hope you find relief, and everyone suffering as on top of the pain the worry of what it is gets on top of you. Keep me updated if you find anything else to help x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.