Constant headaches for over a year now, please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 16 and have been suffering with constant headaches for over a year now. Recently the pain seems to be getting worse, it is interferring with my studies and daily activities. Some days the pain is so bad I am bedridden as when I get out of bed I am hit with a chronic headache along with dizziness and nausea as well. I am currently doing my A-levels and so studying is difficult when I wake up and go to sleep with a headache, but I persist with the pain. 

At first I coped with the pain and had a positive attitude, as I told myself that sooner or later the pain would ease or go comletely. But it has got to a point now where I just don't know what to do anymore, no pain killers or chiropractor or acupuncture can give me any sort of relief. I have recently tried triptans and have even been prescribed Topiramate but nothing has worked. 

It is slowly having a psychological effect on me, some days I just go into the garden or some place quiet and cry to myself. I try to stay strong for my family as they worry so much, as do my friends but I just don't know how long more I can last. I just want to know what it's like not to have a headache.

Please, if you have any advice, or even if you just have similar stories or experiences share as it will be much appreciated,

Katie

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Bless your heart. I started having migraines at about your age. I am now 62 yrs old and still struggle. I have been on medications of many kinds over the yrs daily with not really help. I just treat the pain with Imitrex. Yesterday I went to another Neurologist who put me on Effexor for a month as I wait approval for Botox injections which is supposed to prevent the frequency of headaches and possibley to none. However you should seek out a neurologist who specializes in headache and get a proper diagnosis. Many Drs. like to try all these different concoctions which I call coctails of several different medications which can be addictive and problmatic. Seriously sweetie, seek a professional (neurologist) to determine what's good for you. I would hate to see anyone go down the many roads I've been on all these years. I have lesions on my brain and was misdiagnosed with MS and took daily injections for that for 3 yrs. til I sought out another Neurologist who was shocked I didn't have a spinal tap to rule out MS or something else. The spinal tap was negative for MS so again find a good Dr. and get 2nd opinions. 

God Bless and I will pray for you and or good help. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your words of support, I am currently seeing a neurologist and I am enquiring if I can get a brain scan as I believe a MRI would be useful. I am currently taking topiramate and triptans but neither help, I agree with you about the coctails of medications, I certainly don't want to be misdiagnosed. Hopefully they will find something to help soom, I can only hope and pray.
  • Posted

Hi Katie,

Reading your post reminding me of myself a few years ago. I remember coming home from college one day with a headache and thinking it will go away in a bit. I spent the whole christmas holidays lying down and taking medicines and now nearly 3 years on I still have them.

For the first year or so it was a pounding headache day and night and would only stop when I was asleep. I'd been to the GP several times but just got told it was stress or lack of sleep or my diet. I was doing my A-levels at the time and the doctors just thought I was stressing about them (I think it was definitely contributing)

It is hard to explain these headaches to someone who doesn't have them. I would try and explain how it affected my daily life but I don't think anyone actually realises how horrible they are. 

I know what it feels like to have them, and the days when it all gets too much and you just want to not have a headache even if it's just for a few hours. 

Over the years I have tried many different medication and I had an MRI which came back normal. I had massages done in my upper back/neck/shoulders as well as accupuncture and these helped but were not long lasting. I started doing yoga and working on my posture which I think really helped. Our cases might be different but it might be your muscles causing a strain. these cause pain which leads to headaches. Do you have a good posture? And also make sure you have a healthy diet and you're drinking plenty of water.

I'm 20 now and at uni, and my headaches are more under control. I have noticed that they are more frequent and painful when I am stressed, if I am sitting for long hours or if I am carrying a heavy bag so I try to avoid doing that (that's pretty impossible at uni)

I also try stretching as much as I can and doing yoga- definitely helps if its the muscles causing your pain. 

I hope you find something from this useful. Remember that you're not alone! If you need any more advice or just want to talk feel free to contact me smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.