Constant nagging headache for approx 3 months! What's wrong with me!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here so bear with me. It all started very early september, I remember slowly gaining a headache while I was out running some errands. Nothing too bad that made me have to rush home. I went about the rest of my day until I slept. I woke up the next morning with the headache and it hasn't stopped since. I was at the ER about 4 times before I forced them to give me a ct scan as I was afraid of brain cancer. CT was negative, all blood work I recipeved was negative. I went to my primary care doctor who gave me fiorocet to no effect. He then referred me to my current neurologist but we seem to be at our wits end. The first session I received a cortisone shot in my neck as he thought it was occipital neuralgia. After it didn't work he prescribed nortiptylan which I am on now. I haven't noticed a difference. He says I don't need a mri as I have no neurological symptoms. However, my symptoms are basically head pain/head pressure in my forehead, temples, and back of neck. I also have noticed some days that shaking my head really aggrivates the pain and some dAys is so painful I can't even shake my head no. Other than that I don't really have any other symptoms. As of a few weeks ago I started to feel tingling in some of my fingers and feet, like they've fallen asleep, as well as a slight weakness in my arms and some mild fatigue. I have been out of work since this started and it's making me so depressed, things I once enjoyed are no longer enjoyable because all I can think about is what is wrong with me! I have it from the second I wake up to the second I go to sleep, and it never let's up fully. Is there anyone who shares my symptoms and can help?I've seen countless topics but the user never responds after a certain amount of time, making me think the worst. Help please! sad

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I've suffered quite a few years with chronic tension headaches basically it's the muscles around your head in constant pain, this won't show up on mri. I too have felt pain my sleep. I think the only thing that's ever assisted me is Amitriptyline. Then again every person is different so other medications might assist you, can I ask if its worth looking into that your pins and needles/ fatigue might be related to the medications you are taking? Actually there is a scan where it might show up but I've forgotten what its called, sorry 3 am here and I need sleep! Anyway sometimes I can't anything including getting out of bed. Worth reading up on and discussing with your GP, good luck Sam, Nick.
    • Posted

Sorry about spelling/ missing words!
  • Posted

I started off on Amitryptyline but I was told by a non-professional it was a nasty tablet to be on amd I should get off of it asap.  It was working OK.  Now I am on gabapentin600 mg per day and it's not taken it away compeletely. I should go back to the old medication but I convinced the doctor is was not working.  Seems like a shot myself in the foot. Gor an appointment with the neurologist today......the appointment has been cancelled at least twice so far.  That's how the NHS service works these days. Worse I am only seeing a JUNIOR doctor.
  • Posted

I've had migraines for 40+ years but last year developed a headache far, far worse. Went to A&E (ER) twice, nothing found. GP could only recommend Amytriptilene which I really didn't want to take. 

Went to a chiropractor and within minutes she found the problem. My spine rotates then sticks, can't go any further, can't go back. Squeezes blood vessels and nerves which causes headache.

i see her once a month, she manipulates my neck and spine and with this I'm pain free. It might be worth the got of a consultation to find f it's something like this.

• Posted

Is this safe? I've read a lot of horror stories about people having strokes and the like after they've had their neck and spine manipulated. I won't lie though, I'm seeing my neurologist again today and if what he recommends doesn't work, I'm going to call my local chiro to see if I have any issues.
  • Posted

I have total faith in the chiropractor. 

I was twice directed to A&E. On the second visit I was kept in overnight. Was seen by 7 doctors, none if them knew what was wrong with me. My GP just told me to take Amytriptilene and keep requesting repeat prescriptions. He had no intention of checking me again for 12.months.

the chiropractor asks me health questions every visit--- do I have any blurred vision, pain anywhere, dizziness and so on. If she wasn't all concerned she'd refer me to hospital. 

Might not work for everyone but I was glad she could tell me what was causing the pain and she stopped the pain.

• Posted

Have to pay. Chiropractor was recommended by a friend and is only a mile or do from home. Pay £25 per treatment. 
    • Posted

I was just referred by my neurologist to see a chiro, I'll take your advice holly. Hope mine is as good as yours, I want someone who is going to fix me, not harm me more!
    • Posted

I just looked it up..in London I'm looking at a basic £75 for the initial consulation and X Rays are extra.  Future appointmetns are £47 for 30 mins. Where is your chirpractor?  
    • Posted

I live in South Devon hence the price difference. I paid £30 for initial treatments and I'm now considered yo be on maintenance treatments so it's £25 for 15 minute appointment but she takes her time and I'm never rushed.
    • Posted

Thank you Hollyberry.  I'm gonna give it a go in the new year.  The potential that someone can discover that kind of detail is amazing.
  • Posted

Where you said you had problems moving your head side to side---as if you're saying no--- that's exactly what I had. Chiro frees up the seized muscles and I then exercise yes, no and tilting my head side to side, several times a day. 

i cannot describe the pain if my neck seizes up and the nerves and blood vessels are trapped. Worse than the worst migraine I've ever had.

good luck with the chiro, hope you get it sorted.

• Posted

Holly, when you say you have problems saying no, do you mean you have a stiff neck or it hurts your head to say no? When I shake my head to, say, dry my hair off after a shower, I feel a pain inside my head that makes the headache even worse. I would like to add I have no neck pain whatsoever, so I'm a little reluctant to say it would be my neck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.