Constant reoccuring UTI after intercourse and gym for past four months?

Posted , 4 users are following.

In June I got my first UTI since I was 10 years old during a weekend of excessive drinking. This same weekend I had been in a hot tub that was pretty gross and had a weird smell, but I followed my friends in suit of this. During the weekend I got a UTI but successfully drowned it out from drinking loads of water and sleeping. Ever since then, everytime I have sex I get a UTI after! This has never happened until now and it is really putting a damper on my relationship! It also recently started happening after working out too! I started working out again to deal with the stress from my outbreaks of UTI's and of course now I can't even do that because it seems it causes them too!!! My Dr. did a UTI testing the last time I went to see him for it and the test didn't come back as a UTI... weird! He gave me antibiotics to take for a week and everytime before intercourse, but I really don't want to live off of them for the rest of my life or (like I've done already) forget to pack them on trips and suffer through a UTI away from home. Any advice or tips are all accepted! I already know to wipe front to back and to pee after sex, but is there anything else??? I just went out last night and spent 100 dollars at CVS on cranberry supplements and AZO to have on hand just in case. Really want my care free life back! sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Stop wearing tights or tight jeans. Wash after each bowel movement if possible and always before sex
  • Posted

I'm convinced that once we've had a uti, our healed tract lining is never going to be as resistant to bacteria as it was before. So we have to do everything we can think of to keep bacteria away. 

• Posted

That is terrible newssad I have a blood test tomorrow so I'm hoping that they can tell me my hormone count and blood count and see if there's anything I can take to raise the pH in my bladder to make it more acidic to fight off bacteria.

• Posted

I've never thought to ask that, sarah. Please let me (us) know what you find out! 

• Posted

Hi sarah, 

I'm sorry about the UTI's, I know how awful it feels. I had them for nearly 2 years straight and nothing was helping. I'd go on antibiotics just to have another infection 2 weeks later. It ruined my sex life because I didn't want to risk it recurring. I decided to try some natural remedies such as the cranberries pills and special tea but not much was changing. I bought a naturopathy book and started trying every suggested treatment in the UTI section. I came across something called Golden Seal tincture. I'm a medical school graduate, so the word "tincture" freaked me out a bit but nothing else was working so I went for it. I got it from the health store in my town, it was very accessible. I cannot remember the number of drops i used but I did it 3 times a day for 7 days and it went away; I continued taking it for 3 more days just to be safe. I am happy to say, I have not had a uti in 10 months. In that time I've gone on multiday backpacking trips in the mountains and have had sex without using the washroom after. I didn't understand how my friends could just fall asleep afterwards without getting up and rinsing the area but now I do. Golden seal tincture, Cranberry pills, uratonic tea and LOTS of water. I HIGHLY recommend you try it. It is the only thing that has ever made a long lasting difference. Antibiotics have their place but for some reason they really weren't helping enough. 

I hope you this helps you too!! Don't give up! 

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! This past week I was put on antibiotics again and no surprise when I say I got a uti the day after going off. I have a blood test scheduled for tomorrow as well as a urology and drs appt for next week. What exactly is goldenseal??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.