Constant Stomach Upsets ..... Antibiotics ??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone been prescribed antibiotics to take all through winter ?

My daughter gets every bug going (stomach pains, sickness, distorted etc) from about November onwards - sometimes lasting for 5-7 days at a time - usually continuing until about April/May time. The consultants says her immune system isn't fighting infection so they are gonna try to boost her immunity by taking antibiotics every other day from October onwards ..... Has anyone had this type of treatment & if yes how did it go ??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison i totaly agree with every word that kwaldhauer  said. iTs a known fact that to many antibiotics are very bsad for anyone, they do indeed kill of all the good bacteria too and to many can leave one with candida( yeast overgrowth) this can attack us any where in the body too. I too was left with this which caused me no end of stomach and digestive problems too plus the food sensitivities which led me to be gluten, lactose, sugar and yeast intolerant. It wasnt permanent but had to keep of all foods with these in for a few weeks for my tummy to settle and heal. Even now i have to keep away from to much sugar as it flares up again.  Probiotics is far better than anitbiotics whenever possible.

Sue

• Posted

l was diagnosed with intersticial cysitus many years ago, inflammation of the bladder causing severe pain, frequency, poor health, meds tried with some success, but a few year ago research showed that women who took anti b daily had improved symptoms and less flare ups, those on placebo,s didnt, so l and others prescribed anti b daily, and it did seem to help with symptons and less flare ups. Then two year ago l started with chronic nausea, bouts lasting weeks and daily, could barely eat, lost weight, became near permanent from last oct, meds didnt help.

Scope showed l,d a bit of inflammation but not enough for symptoms, so l came off anti bs, went lactose free, take  probiotic, y9ogurts bio small plain meal in evening, lots of veg chicken fish, also drink spring water, and it has now improved a bit, nausea eased off, can eat a bit more, feel a bit better generally. l know that every morning l woke up with a coated tongue, thick mush, thats also decreasing, so lve not had candida diagnosed, but think it probably has added to it all, and anti bs are known to cause it,  Cant understand why a gp would state anti bs being used to boost immunity, unless he thinks she,s bacteria  frequently but they should tell you that, hope she improves.

• Posted

Hi there,

I heard there is an antibiotic that is good for stomach problems and does not affect the natural flora. i believed its called rifaximin, is that what the doctor prescribed?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.