Constipated for 6 weeks.. Any advice??

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I am a 24 year old female. I've had a do pain for 8 months. It started off being diarrhoea but now I have I have been constipated for 6 weeks now. I didn't pass any stool for 4 weeks and was in severe pain. I have been admitted into hospital recently when the done an X-ray and confirmed I was constipated. Before being admitted I was prescribed laxido and glycerine. In hospital I took Moviprep and picolax and large enemas but there was no joy. A week later I was back the local GP out of hours and they prescribed me more picolax but that didn't work either. (Just brown watery fluid) the surgeons said it was overflow. Currently taking cosmacol m, glycerine and Microlax enema but I am having no joy passing naturally. I have passed once in 6 weeks and it wasn't a great amount. My doctor said that I would be sat in the toilet for days when the medicine kicks in. I am getting to the point were eating really hurts and I find myself feeling full and sick with dizzy spells. I call my GP 3 times a week near enough because I am that fed up and in so much pain. I am drinking plenty. I don't take any pain relief I massage my belly and use hot water bottles.

Does anyone have any tips to get this out of me. I want my normal life back. After 6 picolax sachets and 4 goes of Moviprep and 10 laxido a day with 5 Dulcoease capsules and 4 suppositories a day what more can I do 😫😢😭 thanks for reading xx

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you need stomach exercises.  Your stomach muscles have stopped working because of the laxative abuse.  There is no stimulation and hence a serious blockage. You need a serious change in your lifestyle and eating habits. You may go on a fruit and vegetable diet that is strictly soluble AND easily digestible.  Soluble fiber is the one that gets dissolved in water.  So drinking water will help the dissolved fiber to move down quickly..  Any fruit or vegetable without the skin is also considered as soluble.  I added the word digestible cuz sometimes some foods such as beans or apples (without skin) even though soluble can contribute to constipation because they take a while to digest.  Hence look for foods that are quickly "digestible"..  For example, white rice is better digestible than brown rice.  Brown rice takes a while to cook so imagine how long will it take to digest in your tummy.  So yes, look for soluble AND quickly digestible foods. Grapes, watermelon, avocadoes, oranges, etc are prime examples. Take foods that are high in vitamin C.  Do NOT consume food that has lots of iron and calcium.  Iron constipates and calcium contracts the muscle.  You want to eat food high in magnesium because magnesium, on the other hand, expands the nerves and muscles.  Cut dairy and gluten out from your food list.  Right now stick to soluble salads and fruits until all of the old poop is out.  Tummy exercise is a MUST must must must for the poop to move.  Bending, walking, hula hooping all will help immensely.  Take flaxseed oil after every meal. This will lubricate the content in your stomach and help to pass easily. You may even take magnesium supplements to get yourself regular.  A safe magnesium (oxide) intake is 250 mg once daily after dinner. 
  • Posted

Also see that you coat your food with the saliva.  Saliva contains an enzyme that helps the tummy break down food particles.  In short, it helps to digest the food better.  So eating slowly should help too.
  • Posted

Also see that you coat your food with the saliva.  Saliva contains an enzyme that helps the tummy break down food particles.  In short, it helps to digest the food better.  So eating slowly should help too.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I have tried everything. I exercise daily walking, cycling, squats and swimming every other day. I eat healthy except on a Saturday we go out for tea. I am b12 deficient so I don't know of that could have a role in it. I had my course of 6 injections end of January after my blood tests come back. Don't understand why my doctor can't just listen to me and stop prescribing me laxitives. The surgeons said they can't do anything but surely is not healthy and I heard it's dangerous not to go because of the bacteria in poop can be poisoning. I will look into the magnesium oxide tonight. I also use aloe Vera juice I was recommended by a pharmacist.
  • Posted

Hi Amy

There is a constipation forum on this site. I notice it is not a welcoming or as active, but there may be replies from older posts which may help. Could be worth a look.

I do know that if you don't go for long enough, and they admit you into A&E, they will do a manual extraction. When I get really stuck, I focus on that thought which helps me as a point of last resort (ie: one to avoid).

Good luck

Michael

• Posted

Thanks for your message I have been having a nose at older posts. I was only discharged a week ago after being given Moviprep and picolax but there is no poop in my rectum for them to remove but the X-ray shows impactions higher up. Just asked my GP if I can have a large enema to try and get things moving the last one didn't work but I hope this one but help. Wish the pain would go though it's horrendous
    • Posted

I really do feel for you. From my experience, I know what you are going through: the hot sweats, the shakes - it is almost like going throuigh cold turkey (as shown on TV). 

I have suffered all my life and have had extreme moments, so give you full sympathy and encouragement.

• Posted

Sounds awful I don't think I could deal with this all my life I really feel sorry for you. 6 weeks is enough for me and I just feel sorry for myself over 6 week never mind any longer.

Gastro in 7 days so I'm hoping I can get a diagnoses if it's crohns or colitis once I've had a colonoscopy if only they could do it now but with me being bunged up they can't do it 😫 Have you found anything that works for you

• Posted

I hope you get diagnosed soon.  You are too young to go through such ordeals.  

• Posted

Thank you so much ☺️ I know just wish my doctors would actually listen and do something to help me
  • Posted

Hi there 

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I have tried many things over the last 9 years. from natural laxative teas to certain foods. What I tried recently that really worked for me and has been working very well for the last month and some is first thing I did was get a nutrient extractor. A decent blender specified for nutrient extracting.  I then every morning make myself a health fruit and veg drink. I experimented for a few weeks and my favourite mix is now the following, 

frozen spinach

fresh kale frozen

blueberries 

half a banana

a few strawberries if there is any

freshly ground flaxseeds (I tend to use an electric grinder and and make up maybe a few days supply, store in an airtight container in the fridge)

coconut water or almond milk to make up the liquid part. Blend and drink within 30 minutes. I honestly after drinking this rarely crave artificial sugars, I eat at specific times everyday and also go to the toilet regularly too. 2 times a day sometimes 3. It works wonders. I tried oats for a while and it just didn't Work for me to make me go regularly and I was always training.I also tried yogurt and fruit together. Try this. Who knows you may already have a nutrient extracted in your home. Give it a go with the recipe I have enclosed. And see how it goes.i suffered for a long time with constipation since I was pregnant with my daughter and not having the right advise and help I took natural tea laxatives for a very long time. If I knew what I know now I would've only taken the natural laxative teas short term as they can tend to make your digestive system and colon/lower digestion lazy and sluggish with prolonged use.I really hope this helps you as it has worked for me. What I noticed is that if I don't make my drinks and drink them every morning I feel awful and my system starts to suffer.so make sure that once you  start doing this in order to know whether it's working or not for you

you have to stick to you for at least a week properly. You may even come up with your favourite recipes. 

Good luck and let me know if this helps 

• Posted

Thank you Helen. I have tried drinks of a morning but I haven't lately but I will try you're recipe. My dr has given me 9.4g bottles of fleet enemas to take which really has helped but then I find myself needing to use them to go the toilet since I can't pass naturally even they don't flush me out but it's been a start. Think I've abused laxatives not the more I take the more painful my stomach is getting so I'm trying to just eat fresh greens and eat a good balanced diet instead of all these laxitive a day but I will try your drink
  • Posted

The first thing you have to do which was the hardest thing to do for me is to stop with the laxatives. It was tough but you can do it. Allow your system to start to try and jump start itself. It won't happen overnight. Try and cut it out. Try the health drinks first thing.i tend to drink my health drink around 8am on weeksdays on my way to work and on weekends when I sleep in a little I  drink it around midday. I don't worry about going cos I do. Please try this. I know what you're going through. Been there and know how absolutely awful this makes you feel. With the flaxseeds. You don't need anything expensive. Check online places like amazon you can buy it in bulk. Store in cool dry place in an airtight container and it will last a very long time. Buy whole seeds. Don't buy grounded seeds. They are not as effective.  I've had my 1kg for about 5 months and still have a lot more left. Start off with a teaspoon of flaxseeds and build it to see how much flax your system wants. Always use it freshly ground. And always use half a banana in your health drink. Try using very ripe bananas as well. I cannot believe how effective this has been. I also forgot to mention that I drink about 1.5 litres of water everyday. You have to try and get a lot of water in your system. Buy a drinking bottle that takes this amount of water and top it up everymorning. You then don't have to worry about hoe much you've drank as you will know.that way it's easy to keep track of how much you're drinking. Drinking that much if you're not used to it will feel strange for like a week and then you will get used to it and start drinking it like its normal. I really hope this helps you 

come back with an update. Would love to hear how this has worked for you. I haven't taken any laxatives since last August.

oh and you can also include other fibre rich foods like sweet potatoes and beans in your diet. If I can remember any other foods will let you know 

• Posted

So I have my colonoscopy today (Saturday 2nd April) I was given moviprep to start at 7pm. By 9pm I was throwing up and I called the GP out of hours to request picolax which she prescribed. Took picolax to at 10 as I barely drank much moviprep....still no Bowel movement. Hoping that by the morning things will happen.

What do I do if I do go the toilet and clear by Bowel before my colonoscopy at 2pm. I have been waiting since October for this appointment 😢 Would I have to wait weeks if they cannot do it or will they give me an enema and do it that way. I knew I should have taken the option to have the meds in hospital as we know what my body is like towards laxitives it just rejects it and doesn't work..

What if no medication helps me go. They won't do a colonoscopy then will they. The last time I took picolax it was mostly overflow. I react badly to moviprep.

Does anyone have any tips. I can't drink any fruit or veg drinks as I am not to eat what else can I do!

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy as well a few years ago to determine why I was having bowel/constipation issues. They said nothing was wrong as far as they could see internally.

Im really sorry you are dealing with the this. This is serious. You're not going even with the extra strong stuff they give you for prep for the colonoscopy? When they gave it to me I was straight to the toilet within an hour. I'm so sorry. Have you managed to go yet? Im not sure if they will still go ahead

with the colonoscopy if you haven't had your bowels cleared. 

I honestly think that your bowels have become so lazy and reliant on laxatives. It's a no win situation. It will be hard for your system to kick start itself and frustrating but it will happen.You have to honesty completely stop with the laxatives. They are not helping your system. I learn that the hard way. I know it's hard believe me. But your system has become totally reliant on laxatives. Let us know how you are getting on

• Posted

I had the colonoscopy. I called the hospital at 8am this morning and told them that it hadn't really had an effect as well as I had hoped so I had 2 enemas and they were able to do the colonoscopy. They confirmed that I don't have inflammatory bowel disease so now I have to have a endoscopy through my mouth and I have to drink some solution and have an X-ray of my small bowel to see what's going on. I've been off laxatives and eating clean but at least my colon is currently clear.

Not sure what the cause could be for all the stomach pains but they have tested me for Coeliac as the gastro consultant picked up on that I have some kind of autoimmune disease. My liver function test results since June have been almost double what they should be for someone my age it is not quiet normal considering I am normally fit and healthy I recently had an MRCP and CT scan but it was not a fatty liver so I am a mystery as to what is making me so unwell

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.