Constipation!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have had a thr on 5th jan and been given oxycodeine for pain relief which in turn is giving me the worst constipation.the hospital have given me lactulouse and docusate sodium for it but its not helping and its driving me bonkers!

Any help hints or tips please??

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kelly.

Drink lots of water, and try prune and pear juice. Hopefully will

help. If not call doctor and talk to him about your problem he or

she may give you something else. Good luck.

Hug Madla💗

• Posted

That was the worst for me I would rather give birth than be constipated eat plenty off oranges plenty of fluids I got laxido from the dr that you mix with water they were brilliant good luck  cry

• Posted

I'm not sure if you can get it or not because I'm in the US, but my surgeon recommended Miralax.  I can get it over the counter at my local chemist.  It comes in a power form and is completely tasteless.  You can add it to any kind of drink (once per day).  I thought I was going to lose my mind with the severe constipation.  This stuff is amazing!  It's a little expensive, but worth every penny.  You might be able to buy it online.  Good luck!

• Posted

It does make u constipated maybe have a little bit of a bigger dose than they say I have been I had nine 28 th Dec I've been the same,just had my staples out today it's a bit sore x

• Posted

It was bad for me too.  I was also prescribed the docusate sodium.  What worked for me, though, was blending high-fiber fruits (like pears and apples) with prune juice and chia seeds, ice, and some water (to make it the consistency you desire).  That turned out to be a nice shake, and even filled me up if I was hungry.  A friend recommended magnesium citrate.  That also worked when blended with fruits and juices.

The best thing is when you come off the oxy...it's all back to normal pretty quickly!

• Posted

pineapple and pineapple juice xx
  • Posted

My surgeon gave me a notebook of information to take home. I was told to take Mirilax starting several days before I have the surgery. Mirilax is Polyethylene Glycol 3350. It's a powder to mix in any drink. I mix mine in hot coffee. I have used it for several years (occasionally). If I'm really backed up, I take twice a day. Unfortunately at that point it takes 3 days. Very gentle. Now I take once a day if and when I notice the first sign of getting backed up. Miss one day, take Miralax.

Good luck. It works for me.

• Posted

I am having my LTHR on February 2nd and the constipation is my biggest fear! A friend had knee replacementsurgery and her doctor told her town take a stool softener everything she took an opioid. She said this did the trick for her.

I deal with chronic constipation despite eating a healthy, high fiber diet and drinking plenty of fluids. Also try a heating pad in your stomach to relax the muscles.

This week I had a hemorrhoid banded to prevent additional bleeding post open with blood thinners. I also take a stool softener and Rx Amitiza daily to keep me as normal as possible. When I had abdominal surgery over 28 years ago my biggest issue in the hospital was getting past the constipation. Six years ago I was constipated for over 9 days while traveling to/through China, despite the daily steps I take for prevention.

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Maybe the Mirilax on a daily basis would work for you. Many people with doctors advice of course, take it every day for maintenance. Be sure to talk to your doctor before adding new

• Posted

Consume fruits & vegies & salad, oatmeal, raisin bran, water, fruit juice!! I had the same thing - while I was still in the hospital I had to wrestle a nurse to get her to ask the doctor on call to ok an enema after the TWO suppositorie(s) didn't work...finally I won and felt much much better!! GET OFF THE OXY ASAP - IT IS ADDICTIVE- VERY ADDICTIVE!!! Once you are free of the oxy and moving more you will feel much better

• Posted

Can i reduce the oxy when i feel i can?at the moments i've been told i can take upto 4 in any 24hrs.

• Posted

Ween yourself off them when you can hande the pain with just tylenol and not until! Oxy is a narcotic and very dangerous...I cut them in half and weened down that way - I just took a half instead of a full tablet and then a quarter and then an eight ant then just extra strength tylenol...the weening is important because you'll have withdrawl symptoms that are really umpleasant - emotional swings, nervous shudders, feeling cold, the runs, vomitting...all that horror!

• Posted

What is tylenol as i haven't been prescribed that?

• Posted

It an over the counter pain medicine that you can pick up at local chemists.  Tylenol is a brand name.  It's also known as Paracetamol or Acetaminophen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.