Constipation

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm not having much luck with the search engine on this site. It's it possible to just search the hip forum?

Anyway, my dark passengers don't want to disembark, even after 6 days. I've been taking senna pills and some very sweet liquid I got from the hospital for the last four days and still no luck. The woman in the bed next to me had the same mixture at the same time as me and she was disembarking passengers left, right and centre all night long, but she is over 40 years older than me. Poor woman couldn't get to the toilet on her own either sad

Do you know of any sure fire remedies that don't involve medication or yoga? I've tried just sitting on the toilet but it gets extremely uncomfortable quickly and was of no use.

Gracias, Bridie

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The only remedies I know of are the use of stool softeners (2 per day) and 1 dose of Miralax per day. They started me on both at the hospital on the first day, and I continued using them at home the whole time I was on opioid pain meds - about 5 weeks. I had no problem ever. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Bridie, yes constipation goes hand in hand with major surgeries. I took the senna also. I found that warm prune juice and Smooth Move Tea helped. As long as you take narcotic type pain med you will ave issues with elimination. You will feel better but it does take a few weeks of discomfort before you do. Pain from surgery and constipation, not fun!

Feel better

• Posted

Hi Bridie

This is very common in all of us after thr's l think my 1st one it took me 5 days to go but l am sure l jave heard other people saying it took longer. It is a combinstion of getting GA and then loads morphine based drugs and tramadol and co-codamol can also make you constipated. I was stsrted on senna 2 tablets per day and movicol a powder drink on the day before my thr buy like you l found it so uncomfortable sitting on toilet because of where your scar is and although sometimes l felt l could go l would go to toilet and nothing would happen until aboit 4 or 5 days past operation. It sounds like they have put you on senna and lactalose which is the sweet liquid. I would yake maybe an extra dose of it everyday and people on this forum has said prune juice also helps. Don't worry it will happen some people it just takes longer than others and even though it is very painful to sit in the toillet you will be able to do it at some point without pulling that much pressure on.

Obviously if it is still not happened within the next day 2 say to the nurse if you are still in hospital or call the doctors or hospital you were in and tell them as maybe a diffrent try of laxative is needed. It becomes painful as you are clogged up and its sore but if nothing happens soon with the 2 types of medicine you are taking l would let your gp or hospital know so they can give you something that will make it happen xx

• Posted

Strong coffee - whenever I'm in hospital I take my own coffee in with me otherwise they'd never let me out 😀
  • Posted

Morning smile

Have you considered increasing the dose - although this does tend to cause the passengers to become disgruntled for a few hours...I have found that taking more oily liquids and prune juice and senna only help with the backlog (if you will excuse the expression).

This is a very difficult stage of the recovery which is compounded by the 90 degree rule  [evil] . Luckily, once the oil has started to work, and after the First Class passengers have disembarked, the Economy Passengers are much less troublesome.

I am not sure how wise it is post op, but there is the option of a suppository to help encourage their departure.

De nada

Michael 

• Posted

First class! Heh. I had no one in economy, they had all illegally sneaked into First Class - I thought I was going to die!!!!
  • Posted

hi bridie ---

cheesygrin  LOL on the "passengers"  ...

I hope that some movement was made during these last hours -

Also read on this forum that pineapple juice/pieces might help too ... strong coffee is  a mover for me too -

good luck chica,

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Sorry, Bridie, laughing here, serious problem but how I love 'my dark passengers'.

Having been on strong pinkillers for so long, and adding an op into the mix, meant all my passengers were stuck up a siding somewhere for nearly a week!

I used a variety of encouragements, movicol, chocolate, senna and prunes (ugh). The doc said you can increase the movicol to 'impacted' stage and take about 8 sachets. I took 4. 

When they eventually arrived at the station I thought I was going to need a bite stick! What a relief! 

As we are all commenting on this perfectly natural, but less talked about subject  I will pass on a tip that a friend gave me for easing disembarkation. When the time comes use a hot cloth held just above the tunnel to help the passengers off. It worked well as a damage limitation!!! 

• Posted

I used Andrews Liver salts.  A slightly larger dose than usual.  Gallons of water, is very important.  Sennacot, prunes, and prune juice.  Be careful about who is down wind, though!  Walking about for a while will help, as everything moves south.  
  • Posted

Pineapples and Pineapple juice. Liquorice does it for me too.

Hope you have luck soon xx

• Posted

I know exactly how you are feeling , ended up being 9 days before things got moving for me ! I used glycerin suppositories ( bought over the counter at any pharmacy ), a bit undignified but they certainly did the trick .

Hope all goes ' smoothly ' ☺

• Posted

Bridie,

It's the morphine, opiates are well known for "bunging you up".

I made sure I had my portions of all bran and wholemeal toast for breakfast in hospital.  

I think 'every little helps', so fruit juices, prunes, figs, and the Lactulose whichas you say is very sweet and syrupy.  Drinking a fair amount of water will also help a lot to soften up those passengers.

You will probably find that you will suddenly experience an emergency evacuation and the passengers will all want to disembark pretty swiftly.

Good luck, and safe landings.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Some good answers here, lots of coffee, chocolate, pineapple, liquorice, I can get behind these!

I'm increasing the dose of the lactolose and senna, and whittling a bite stick as we speak.

I had a chili sauce with chicken, tomato and lettuce sandwich for lunch to see if I could force the issue that way. I had indigestion so bad I thought I was having a heart attack.

If I have no luck with the dietary aids by a couple of days (!!) I'll go for theglycerin suppositories.

Many thanks for your support 💜

• Posted

I had senokot and stool softners in hospital, took a couple of days though, I have them at home incase I need them.  Drink plenty of water, warm water seems to work better for me, grapes and juicy pears.

Love your description of it lol

Hope whatever your trying is helping things along.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.