constipation for about a week then bout of diarrhea

Posted , 5 users are following.

this has gone on for about year and a half, i work all week and have no bowel movements then the first day off work i have bad stomach cramps and diarrhea, I have tried changing my diet i.e eating more fibre during the week and eating more in general because tend not to eat when working.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adam

Have you seen a Dr. At all. It sounds like it may be stress related if you are OK on the weekends. This would be consistent with a type of IBS. I would still check it out. Ever had any testing?

Vivian

• Posted

Ibs and fibre, don't mix, I kno all the docs say u got tomcat loads of fibre, but don't it can make things worse,  also overloading yr stomach can cause what yr expearcing now, eat little and often, if u want a natural laxative,  ie prune juice,  is a good source.  
  • Posted

Adam you must eat regularly, and really look hard at your diet, fresh fruit, and veg, brown rice, wholemeal bread, quorns great when in pain, all are good for fibre, avoid coffee, tea, unless redbush, not alcohol, no milk, bit of soyas ok, and eliminate the dreaded wheat, its in everything, you can get wheat free bread and pasta, it does work, IBS symptoms are constipation and diarrhea, flares up when stressed, drink lots of filtered or bottled water, im afraid its for life, you just have to maintain it the best you can, rest more when acute,walking helps too, just half an hr a day really works, peppermint tea, camomile teas are good.  Even if you just make a quick nutrious samwhich the evening before work, that and an apple which helps digestion too would be a good lunch, dont starve yourself when working. Good Luck
  • Posted

thank you all, viv no i havn`t, thank you elizabeth the reason i started the fibre is because it`s in cereal and needed to eat a breakfast because i wasn`t at work the cereal is dorset pure muesli. the last 2 weeks its been at its worst because i didnt use to go when working but when i was off i went all day but regular stools. last 2 weeks its been pure pain and diarrhea and the only thing i changed was eating at work, for instance breakfast bars and light fat chrisp. the pain goes when i take imodium which i have the last 2 weeks. i exercise alot (i work in a gym)  i think its my mind i don`t really know what ibs is to have a opinion if it is or isn`t but i think it might be time go get checks.i never drink bottled water but lots of tapped so i could change that deb my diet is iffy so defo needs a look at one thing i could say deb when i tried eating plenty of veg that give me stomach cramps too so i stopped. thank you all again 
    • Posted

Hi Adam

That is the problem with IBS you get bouts of constipation followed by diarrhea. Basically you need to keep bowel regular. Try eating cooked oats for breakfast stay away from dairy, don't eat raw vegetables eat them steamed. No coffee. Any proteins is good because they can be digested easily however red meat is harder to digest. Try that but still get it checked.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Adam

THis sounds like a serious problem for you.

Its going on too long to ignore.    Visit a good doctor.  If you haven't much experience with doctors ask some friends to recomend one.    We have just wasted a fair bit of money because my daughter went to a unknown doctor and he was very unwilling to do anything to help or tell us anything.

If it is IBS then the easiest treatment is to really get serious about your diet and try the Monash university FODMAP diet.    Monash have a website and  Queens bridge hospital in London and some USA university   (Stanford I think)

Get an expert to help you because the diet is fairly difficult to stick to and you need to be strict if its going to help you.   The diet itself costs you nothing but help from a dietician will cost a bit.   In some places local councils have dieticians available as part of their social welfare service.

Good Luck

Graham

Good Luck

Graham

• Posted

Also Adam try Psyllium Husks, I swear by them it will bulk out your diarrhea. Hope things improve and take a good multi-vitamin and mineral

Debs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.