Constipation - Quick Remedies?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am new to this forum group, but have participated in others....I started having constipation ~ 3 weeks ago when I started Prozac and I had been taking Flomax....Both drugs have side affects that might cause constipation...I learned that yesterday and quit taking Prozac...I have been taking suppositories and stool softeners which had helped temporarily, but you're not suppose to take them for more than 2 weeks..I took an enema this morning and it has helped some, but I still feel it was incomplete......I've searched Patient, WebMd, and did some Google Searches to learn about other constipation remedies, some mentioned include: 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda + 1/4 cup  of Hot Water, 30-60ml. of Milk of Magnesia, drink lots of fluids, eat a lot of fiber (vegetables, fruit, shredded wheat bran cereral), mix bran powder in with your food, etc...Have any of you tried these or other remedies and had success?....Please Advise...I'm running out of optioons....THANKS!...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi randy, i can tell you what has worked for me. exercise, diet, and meds. jog for 30 mins or do jumping jacks work up to 250 reps for 5-6 sets. eat salads for meals add 4 oz of protein like tuna. don't add things like cheese....a good yogurt after each meal ie., chobani greek non flavored. the herb senna at night.

• Posted

Hi randy

I have had problems all my life with constipation, also lots of surgery because of it, I have tried everything and researched obsesively. I found that eating to much insoluble fibre blocks me up even more, be aware that eating bran type foods need lots of water. Why not try apricots or prunes they do cause smelly wind Thaugh, I also have a large glass of warm water from the kettle with lemon juice in the morning, it stimulates the bowel, everyone is different so it may take time to see what suits you. Hope it helps.

• Posted

As a long time sufferer of constipation, I can tell you what works for me. I use a combination of lactolose to soften, senna to stimulate and then glycerin suppositories for inbetween times when I just really want some relief. Glycerin suppositories have been my saviour on some occasions.

I don't like using the harsh laxatives because I've had bad experiences before (with dulculax in particular) and senna is quite gentle. Though I will say that it states "will work within 8-12 hours" but for me senna works around 18 hours later for me. But everyone is different.

As well as this I drink ALOT of water, can't stress how important that is. I also eat some prunes and up my fibre a bit during these bouts, but not over the top, just sensible choices.

Hope this helps a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.