Constructive report on mirt

Posted , 5 users are following.

Three weeks ago I was put on mirt. I fought day by day each side effect until I could take no more. BUT this isn't a Mirt horror story. The doctors had me on a large dose of sertraline and the two were jacking my serotonin levels through the roof so the side effects were terrible. So after 3 weeks I am coming off it. The moral of the story is understand your own condition, ask questions and get advise

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

I am so glad you listened to your body. You were very unfortunate to have the serotonin issues with it ... I hope you are feeling much better now. Whilst it has been my lifeline, and I believe it is one of the most effective antidepressant currently on the market (this is just my opinion), people do still need to be aware that combinations of antidepressants can cause a serotonin overload and this needs to looked out for. Maybe you could put a list of the symptoms you had on here so that others might benefit from your experience? (As a gp wouldn't necessarily make the connection) ... just a thought 😊

• Posted

Hi Zero

You've had it rough !

SS or 'Serotonin syndrome' most often occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time. The drugs cause too much serotonin to be released or to remain in the brain area.  Can be dangerous too - wow - these doctors !!!  

So are you quitting both or one at a time Zero ??  Could have a reaction if you quit both at the same time, ??

• Posted

I think there are lessons to be learnt, gps are just gps I know we all trust them but it pays to question it. I have cut mirt out and reduced sertraline. In retrospect the effect it had on me was awful much more than you would have expected reading the forums but how are you supposed to know. I am not even angry at the gp how are they supposed to do a proper job in 5 mins
    • Posted

You are very generous with your thoughts for the treatment you have received, and in the end having a positive attitude will help you through your difficulties.

With only being on Mirt' for 3 weeks you may get away without having a nasty reaction by "just stopping", but may be wise to do one AD at a time, could be a shock to the neurotransmitters stopping both suddenly, but hey ... we are all different.  I hope you recover quickly from your horrible experience, and I wish you well.

Let us know how you go on.  cry

• Posted

Yeah I am very scared I don't get sick pay
    • Posted

I also wish you well and I hope that stopping the mirt will go smoothly and you will start to feel better as you really have had a lot of suffering to deal with.

Try to remain positive Zero, one day at a time and treat your self kindly.

Do please let us know how you are coping.

Best wishes.

Sunbird

• Posted

It's been a real eye opener this forum I honest thought we lived in a world were people didn't care amymore

Thankyou

• Posted

It seems that from suffering ourselves, caring & compassion grows ~ we are all connected, in one way or another so holding hands on this forum and helping one another feeds the soul and rewards the carer with warmth - so win win.

Keep in touch Zero, you're not alone.

With kindness.

C

• Posted

Hi Zero,

Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and I hope today is a better day.

Sunbirdx

• Posted

Thanks very much I have tried to go to work for a few hours.

thankyou so much.

• Posted

Well done Zero.

Remember to treat your self with kindness and understanding.

Sunbirdx

• Posted

Hi Zerodark

I was hopping you or someone could help, my doctor has put me on Mirtapain 15mg, but reading about  Mirt it seems to be more hamfull then good? i havent taken any as yet. please adivse as i might go back on the flux? thank you martin

• Posted

Hi Martin

II have been on Mirtazapine for over 5 years now since changing from duloxetine. For me, it was literally a life saver. Yes, there are so people who don't get on with and some people have withdrawal issues but if you are taking mirtazapine for depression I would most definitely say try it! For me, it was the missing chemical in my brain. I don't intend to come off of mirtazapine as my doc has stated that with it I am fixed so why should I? And yes, there are some initial side effects but they usually wear off (listen to your body though)

All the best with whatever you decide to do

Bex

• Posted

Hi Bex,

It is so good to know that Mirtazapine has helped you so much.

As you say there is no reason for you to stop as you can appreciate how much it has helped you.

Martin I too hope that you have a good outcome with what ever you decide to do.

Best wishes to all.

Sunbirdx

• Posted

Hi Martin,

If you are taking mirt for depression and are on no other medication andy understand that you will more than likely have a rough few weeks, then you should try.

M.

• Posted

Hi Bexnkev

Thank you for your feedback, im still in 2 minds what to do (Anxiety) my GP will be calling me today and i will explain my concerns.

• Posted

Hi Martin,

Just a thought before you start taking the Mirt ... not sure if your doctor has suggested any other prescription drug before this, or maybe you have already tried Propranalol?  Or indeed if you are able to take it - it's a beta blocker and is available in a slow release form so last all day, (non addictive)  some folk on this forum take it when trying to come off the Mirt and by all accounts can be very good at treating anxiety.

And if you're not sleeping, maybe also talk to your doctor about Phenergen, it's non addictive (unlike Mirt') and can be taken before bed.  Sometimes solving the sleep problems can solve the anxiety, hope any of this may help.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi Calmer

Im just  bit worried taken the mirt after reading soo many neg reading on forums i.e weight gain, over sleeping, feeling other side effects, also i do like a drink know and again. My sleeping pattern is ok, its just deprestion really.  Kind regards Martin

• Posted

Hi Martin

Mirt was given to me as my Insomnia & anxiety were through the roof and it worked immediately, I've been taking it for a year, and, as the withdrawal is supposed to be pretty difficult I am doing a very slow wd.

Only you can decide, or know what is best for you, but I would only add that if there is no sleep difficulty and little or no anxiety I wouldn't recommend Mirt as it has a slow release sedative effect that lasts pretty much all day.  The onset is difficult as youur body needs to get used to it and for the first few days especially, the sedation is quite extreme.

There are a lot of AD's to chose from, I wonder why your doctor chose Mirt.

It's worked OK for me because I desperately needed the sedation, but the weight gain has been terrible, but hey ... I'm alive and kicking and anxiety free, so yes, on the whole it worked for me.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi Martin

​I take Mirt only for depression and once my body got used to it (around 3 weeks) I haven't had any lingering side effects. I am on 45mg at night and I worked full time (off work for another reason at present) and had no problem with sedation effect the next day (this is just me and may be different for others). I do take mine a couple of hours prior to going to bed which may account for not feeling sleepy the next day.

​At the end of the day, it has to your decision biggrin​ and I wish you all the best in whatever you decide and hope you find the right medication to help lift your depression biggrin

Bex

• Posted

Just wanted to add .... the lower doses of Mirt' i.e. 15 mg is more sedating and fatigueing than the 30 mg or 45 mg.

The 15 mg is more often prescribed for Insomnia or anxiety or a doctor may prescribe 15 mg as a start up and then for depression move the patient to 30 mg dose and then 45 mg dose.  

Glad its working well for your Bex, great to hear.

C x

• Posted

Mirt made me sleep wasn't helped by booze just see how u go and be your own judge Bex is a great help
    • Posted

Hi All

You advise and words are very appriated smile i have desided to take the mirt and arranged a meeting with my GP next week to see how im getting on then if all is good he will put me on a higher dosage for my depression. the one thing i do have worries about......i do like a drink.

Martin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.