Contact Dermatitis at Work

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I work an office job and have noticed that I get bad contact dermatitis on my elbows from leaning against my desk. I'm relatively sure this is to do with the industrial polishes the cleaners use, as when I recently took some holiday it went away and has come back almost immediately once I returned to work.

Considering the company is quite large it would be unreasonable to ask them to stop using that product. So I was wondering if it is O.K to take an antihistamine for an extended period of time to try and alleviate the red itchy skin on my elbows.

Any other ideas would also be appreciated 

Matt

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Matt, I'm not a dermatologist, but I have had contact dermatitis for many years and I've never come across anyone recommending antihistamines to treat it. Steroid creams or ointments plus emollients is the usual approach, in my experience. I think the previous suggestion about sleeves or elbow pads is a good one. There's a chance the chemicals will work their way through sleeves, however. Another option is to put a sign on your desk asking the cleaners not to clean it, explaining about the skin sensitivity. You could always wipe it over with a damp cloth whenever it needs a clean. Hope this helps.

​Best wishes, Anthea

• Posted

Have you tried talking to the Cleaning Supervisor?  Then perhaps you could find out the ingredient list for the polishes that they use.  You could also ask them to leave your desk for you to clean yourself & see how you get on with that.

Have you discussed this with your GP?  I have used an antihistamine for an extended period until I was referred to a Dermatologist, who then prescribed another course of action.  In your case, you may benefit from a period with a steroid cream, not the otc one but a more potent one but, you also need to remove the source of the problem if you can.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.