Contagious?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am so glad to have finally joined one of these groups. My depression over my condition has worsened recently and I find myself spending hours a day and even feeling anxiety to go to work just researching things to try and ways to beat this. When it says 1-2% of the population has this condition, I find it hard to believe that I chose a mate who also had it. Everything I read says that it is not contagious, however my boyfriend had never experienced a single sore, and recently has been getting them more and more. I find his flare ups coincide with my own, and although it is many less lesions, I am worried this is somthing that I passed to him. Now I am not worried about us working together to treat ourselves, however is continued contact of infected regions something we should think about stopping? And even when these sores are not open I still wonder about the risks.

Thanks so much for all of the awesome discussions and comments here that I have been able to learn so much from

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Could be that you're eating the same foods if you cook and eat together. My HS was caused by nightshade vegetables, nuts and coconut. I'm in remission by cutting these triggers. Look up food sensitivities and Autoimmune diseases or nightshade vegetables and autoimmune diseases. I was in the last stage of HS (had it bad-it had gotten worse over the 10 years I had it) before my remission and my husband of 15 years never got an HS cyst. He has no other autoimmune issues either.
    • Posted

Thank you so much! this has been very helpful. I was just looking through nightshades and evaluating how I can truly commit to paleo or more of a strict dietary plan to atleast begin to rule some things out. Is coconut a common trigger? I have decided that I thought a growing intolerance to dairy and dislike for soy meant coconut milk was my best option. I now drink it everyday with my coffee, as well as coconut oil DIY hair masks. I wlil try cutting that out next to see if I have any improvement and I guess its on to almond milk as a last resort substitute?
    • Posted

People will have different food sensitivities but nightshades is a very common sensitivity for autoimmune conditions. I don't do a paleo diet, but I just don't eat the food triggers that I'm sensitive to. I have to be very strict, I can't even have a small amount of the foods I'm sensitive to. I have to watch ingredients on everything!! Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi HS isn't contagious and no one else can catch it from you.  I think it is actually more common than 1-2% of the population as it is often either undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.    It's just coincidence that you both have it.   x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.