Continous dizzy/woozy/lightheaded feeling from endolymphatic hydrops?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. Ive been started ona diuretic because I had an abnormal ecog result in my right ear. All my other vestibular tests and mri have been normal, hearing is perfect and I don't have any major ear fullness or tinnitus. My main symptoms are continous woozy/dizzy feeling from the time I wake up to going to bed at night but also sometimes in the middle of the night. It's not continouse vertigo, just dizzy/woozy/lighheaded a little off balance feelin. I can walk fine but any kind of self motion makes it worse and also watching motion, like being stores, malls, etc. Not so bad when I drive though, strange. Anyways, anyone taking a diuretic for hydrops and did it help or take away your constant dizzy/woozy/off balance feeling? Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I am having almost same symptoms as you have and suffering from last 2 months.

octors diagnosed ET blockage. I do have sinusitis problem too. i have feeling of light headedness . I am taking Vertin, xyzalM and Evion. A very less improvement is felt. I am based in ghana and medical facilities are not very good here.

Please keep me updated about your treatment developments.

Thanks

• Posted

Its been almost 3months and i can't drive easily, i feel i'm gonna faint while i'm driving although ringing in my ear is less than before. And i feel pressure in my right ear all the time. Sometimes when sitting on a sofa i feel that i'm gonna fall off the sofa. Do you feel anything like that??
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

Just came across your post.  I am curious if you have vertigo eppisodes (room spinning dizziness).  This is one of the main symtpoms of endolymphatic hydrops.  There are other conditions to consider if you have a fairly constant unsteady / off balance type of dizziness.  Do you have any other hearing, vission, related symtpoms?   Any other tests like MRI/CT Scan?

I have had this type of constant unsteadiness dizziness for about 10 years now and was finally diagnosied about 4 years ago.

Also, have you tried vestibular rehab therapy (VRT).  

• Posted

Hi Dizzyear,

Yes, i have had episodes of room spinning vertigo. My last bad one was last August 2015, before that July 2015 and December 2014. They lasted maybe 10-30 minutes??  I don't recall any loud tinnitus or ear fullness or hearing loss with them either. 

My hearing tests have come out perfect, I requested another eCog because I wasn't convicted it was hydrops and it was done only three months later and it turned out normal. Plus, I got copies of my tracings and the diffenct between the two is like night and day. I do not know how the first one could've been read, it should've been counted as inconclusive.

i have done VRT and am doing it again with a PT center for dizziness. I am no longer on the diuretic As it never took away the constant woozy feeling with motion which was and is still my main complaint. It is constant everyday, except when I initially wake up, I feel almost normal, until I get to moving and turning my head/body a lot like With turning in the kitchen, or doing sustained activities around the household or at work. When I can lay down and rest or sometimes even sit, the feeling goes down.

We are now looking at the possibility of MAV/VM. Although, I think I have a touch down PPPD. I've recently learned that migraines run in the family and I believe I've had them and still do, now that I've read up more about them. 

Thank my ou for replying. Were you diagnosed with hydrops? Are your symptoms typical?? Are you taking medications? 

My neuro-otologist says I don't present with classical symptoms for anything!! sad 

• Posted

Oh and yes, I've had an MRI, last September at it was normal, head and inner ear. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

It is good that your vertigo attacks are not too common.  Glad to hear that they don't last too long as well. Some people have these for many hours from what I have read.  

I understand not feeling convinced.  There doesn't seem to be any clear test to diagnose Hydrops or MAV.  But, since the vertigo lasts more than a minute or two and doesn't seem related to head position changes, you can pretty much rule out BPPV.

It took quite a while for me to get a diagnosis, about 6 years, because, like you, my symptoms were not really a match for any dizziness condition.  I was diagnosed with Superior Canal Dehiscence (SDCS) about 4 years ago (Symptoms vary a lot and also one of the rare conditions).  My main symtom was a unsteadiness type of dizziness, a general sense of disequlibrium.  Kind of like having a couple of alcohol drinks without the intoxication.  For me, my dizziness is fairly constant through the day.  I also had many normal tests: MRI normal, hearing normal, etc.  After about 6 years, I developed a few other symptoms Autophany, ear fullness and this helped me get a few more tests with a good ENT that eventually led to my diagnosis.  I haven't had any vertigo yet, but it is a possibility from the list of possible symtpoms.

There really are no medications that do much for my condition, it is caused by a hole in the bone covering one of the inner ear balance canals.  There is a surgical fix for this but it is big surgery and normally reserved for more extreme cases.  

I am not really sure what to make of PPPD.  As I have been researching, seems to be a lot of disagreement on this.  The description of PPPD seems to cover a lot of the other dizziness conditions.  I suppose, if there is a PPPD treatment and it helps, then it is worth it and if not, ithen it wasn't.  

I am impressed you found a neuro otologist.  This is exactly the type of Dr that should be able to help you.  I read about a lot of people going to a general Dr and not making much progress. 

Do you think the VRT has helped?

• Posted

Hi Dizzyear,

Thank you for responding. I think VRT helped me the first time, then plagued. This second time, not really so far. 

Wow, six years! That's way to long to feel bad, I'm hoping it's not the case for me. I've read about SDCS and I've not had a CT scan which j thought was the way it's detected. I'm not sure if a MRI would pick it up. I had a test for perilymph fistula and it was also normal. I don't have auto phony and I don't hear my eyes move in my head. I don't have spinning room vertigo. 

My dizziness waxes and wanes but it's lays there except I don't always notice it in my sleep. It's brought in by self movement and is worse when I don't sleep well/fatigued. Sometimes my eyes don't seem to match up with my brain, if that makes any sense. 

I did have what I thought was bilateral eustacian tube dysfunction a little over a year ago. My ears were plugged, could not pop them open, it sounded like I was talking under water. It lasted about 2 months. I think maybe it might've been allergies as it happened in the spring time. But, I've always been one to not suffer from bad allergies so, who knows. I stated Flonase and decongestant and I think maybe that had helped it and it finally went away during a family vacation! Maybe it was stress and being on vacation cured it, lol! 

My ears have bothered me off and on all my life, had frequent ear infections as a child. Doctor wanted to put tubes in my ears as a kid but I never got them. However, no doctor has ever commended in the appearance of my ear drums so I'm assuming they don't look scarred over or anything. 

Youre lucky you have t experienced true spinning vertigo. It is the most unpleasant feeling of total loss of control of your surroundings, just awful. 

How were you diagnosed with SDCS? I've read there is a really good doctor in Florida that does surgery for it. I think also another one in Oregon. 

• Posted

Sure,

I was diagnosed with Superior Canal Dehiscence.  I had the high resolution CT scan where they could see the hole around the Superior Canal.  Also, had a follow up Vemp test that shows abnormal result.  

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I was diagnosed same with hydrops, continuous dizziness while moving head and turning. Hearing is normal

and no vomiting, but tinnitus for 3 to 4 seconds. Did yo find any solution ? how are you feeling now ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.