Continuous pain from DD and IBS ??

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed last september after a visit to the hospital ( nut suffering for prob a year prior ) and so far have only had on really bad flare up. I consider myself quite lucky given the stories on here ! I don't really monitor my diet as mu consultant last year told me that there was no evidence that diet played any part in this disease, however , I did become mostly vegetarian after the last flare as I feel that my tummy finds it hard to digest meat. Anyway, this is my question, I seem to have been left with pretty much permananet residual  dull almost period pain like ache in my colon, my naughty little pouches are well down in the system so that would account for the location of the pain but does anyone else have this on a permanent basis ?? Also, I feel as though I am now coping with IBS which I never had before - great!! Any help would be marvellous smile

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about all the typos !!
  • Posted

Go on a bowel rest for 24hrs take should take care of it
    • Posted

Hi, I have had a couple of periods when I feel that a flare maybe coming on so I put myself straight onto a clear fluid diet for 48 hours or so but the residual pain just comes back - do you think it may be due to some chronic inflammation and if so what do you recommend? 
  • Edited

I totally believe it to be chromic inflammation. In fact recent research is backing up this too. Search online, medscape is a good source of reliable up to date actual research. It's now believed to be a state of chronic inflammation, perhaps a new autoimmune disease even. Also , the high fiber diet some doctors still tell you to adhere to is now considered a possible cause of the pouches!! . I steer clear of any insoluble fibres these days. Also I found I now become lactose intolerant after my diagnosis. Only fibres I eat are vegetables and I like the brown bread. Drink loads.of fluids and stay away from sugary foods. You need to curb the inflammation in your guts. Look up anti inflammatory diets. I stuck to one for over 6 weeks after my first attack and it was the only thing to get rid of the pain. But you need to stick to it for a few weeks before you notice a difference. Sugar cause high blood sugar which is like pouring petrol on a fire. You feed infections and inflammation with sugar. Admittedly your body store it's own sugar, glycogen but if you stick to healthy diet you will surpress the blood sugar and hopefully this will get rid of your pain. However if your pain increases, you start running fever, gave bloody stools I would recommend another trip to the doctors. A lot of people find probiotics helpful. They most certainly will help you with the ibs symptoms such as diarrhea. I'm sure you must have been given antibiotics. Unfortunately these can make your symptoms worse. Take at least 25 billion, you find them in health shops or super market. They are not cheap but are helpful for the unsettled stomach, replenishing missing flora. You loose a lot of good bacteria if they given you antibiotics. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for this, I don't really have a sweet tooth but it's suprising where sugar hides even in a healthy diet! I am about to go on holiday for a couple of weeks so when I get back I think I'll keep a food diary, it may take some time and detective work but by golly it'll be worth it - I never have a day without pain and am properly fed up with it now.

• Posted

To be honest i have found that it takes many weeks for a flare up to settle down during which time you get constant 'period type ' aches. There's a soreness which takes a while to heal and certain foods and certain activities agravate it. Anything which involves a lot of climbing or a lot of bending and stretching can keep squeezing and stretching the sore area and agravate it. As for food keep it plain and simple and limit red meat and processed meat. Try Fybogel as a safe means of getting fibre. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you - I actually quite like lemon fybogel as it happens, I have to watch it though as the ( what I think is ) ibs makes me dash to the loo anyway smile

• Posted

I was just about to post a question on bending, causing colon pain,

and just spotted your comment. Being a NON sitting down person.

I finally realised that my rigid colon was not happy being bent, 

Spent 5 hours sitting on a chair , in a hospital waiting for a bed ,

the pain kicked in eventually, and had to ask if I could lie down 

Soon as my colon was straightened out ,the pain did recede, but

not entirely for a few days. Have to ask, if you have been told that 

the rigidity is permanent .  Contact with colonic ,doctors, clinics

or consultants does not happen unless I end up, in a hospital bed.

• Posted

I had no idea that my colon was rigid, as you say there's little information given out. I just assumed it was generally not working well and prone to being sore if i didn't treat it with respect. It answers the question of why it doesn't like being bent. Thanks for the info and i hope you are ok.

• Posted

I keep coming across bits of info, about  DD    AKA   Dreaded Disease .

when I found the rigid bit .I had visions (silly I know ) of my colon snapping if it got bent too far.  !!!!!  i'm fine ,pain free .except for the sitting  episode. I eat  lots of fish, which seems to cause no probs.

just had smoked haddock for dinner. and a choccy mousse.

NEED NUTS   but daren't  sad

• Posted

Hi, This is REALLY interesting! Since I had severe diverticulitis in October, my colon has been giving me issues on & off - For the last couple of months at least it has been RIGID.

Even when empty, the colon is HARD (like a solid meta pipe!).

It was getting better (in terms of symptoms hardly there but colon was still hard) - But I did some abdominal exercises/crunches, and it may it flare up 😦

It seems to get aggravated by too much bending over or abdominal exercises... So, does this ever get better? Does it just need several more months rest... Or is that it now like this forever due to like, scar tissue or something?

Thanks in advance and hope you're okay 😃

• Posted

Your intestines are swollen from the inflammation. Intestines are very sensitive. The pain is from swelling, fluids in the tissues. It will feel as if the colon is rigid indeed.This can and will take time to settle. In Sweden they put you on total rest,no food at all, 6 weeks of intravenous fluids for hydration if pain persists to give the intestines time to heal. I had that feeling too. Had to wear sweat pants for over 6 months with first episode. Stomach swell up so much and I got too much pain from any pressure. People thought I was pregnant.
    • Posted

Posted this already but can't see it - so re-posting, hope that's okay!...

Hi, This is REALLY interesting! Since I had severe diverticulitis in October, my colon has been giving me issues on & off - For the last couple of months at least it has been RIGID.

Even when empty, the colon is HARD (like a solid meta pipe!).

It was getting better (in terms of symptoms hardly there but colon was still hard) - But I did some abdominal exercises/crunches, and it may it flare up 😦

It seems to get aggravated by too much bending over or abdominal exercises... So, does this ever get better? Does it just need several more months rest... Or is that it now like this forever due to like, scar tissue or something?

You mention 'for over 6 months'... did it get better in time at all?

Thanks in advance and hope you're okay 😃

• Posted

does everyone always get a temperature with their dd flair ups? or can it happen without a raised temp?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.