Continuous stomach pain for 6 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys ... I have more questions if nobody minds. Had a flare up at the end of July , stomach bloated for approx 3 weeks continuously , fatigue, sick, nausea and pain in left side. A lot of the symptoms have now eased but still left with the stomach pain which seems to get worse as the day progresses. I have been off work for 6 weeks as couldn't cope at the moment . I don't need to rush to the loo, I'm not constipated , just left with this pain and full feeling . When will it go ? Any ideas ? Thanks xx

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I take it you been dig bed off sick by your gp?. If not you need to go to doctors to rule out actual infection. Have you beeb running fever? Normally a flare would be better by now but we are all different so it could still be a flare. Are you in antibiotics? I think you should seek medical advice again to rule out abcess and actual diverticulitis. You may need surgical intervention or/ intravenous antibiotics.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply .... I have seen the gastro Dr and my GP this week . They just say diet and to work out what's causing it . They don't seem to care that I am in continuous pain and bloating ! Sometimes I feel like I'm being a baby ! I did have anti biotics when it first happened . MRI and ct scans are clear ... Just really really fed up with it all xxx
  • Posted

When I feel a flare coming in I laxate, fast, only fluids and rest. No running around or exertion for weeks. . I fast up to 3 days. Only fluids and even as I go toilet and it's normal, I now back up and need daily laxative. Despite regular, daily bowels. The inflammation can take weeks to settle but yes you should be getting better, not worse
    • Posted

This was my first flare up so a bit of a newbie to it all !!! I am getting better ... My stomach is still there niggling away at me and just thought it should of cleared by now !! It starts off fine at start of day .... No pain .... But then it progressively starts hurting as day wears on xxxx
    • Posted

When I get the bloating I drink a lot of peppermint tea.. seems to help I just went through a 3 1/2 week flare up in August..not fun.  trying to regulate the BM is the hardest part.

I also do the same as Appendectomy for diet. 

• Posted

As you are on in morning I don't think you have much to worry about. It sounds as though the inflammation is lingering which is pretty normal for diverticular disease. Try to limit stressors on tummy. Small meals, ni excercises. Steer clear of fibres until you been pain free for a couple of weeks. The intestine is very sensitive. Any provocation will set it off. Your intestine moves all the time, peristalsis. By eating smaller meals or liquid diet you take the pressure off. Then you let it rest better. Fibres make the guts expand and work hard. It can make you a lot worse in the acute stages of a flare. Excercises is no good either. Compare it to a cold. You wouldn't go running with a cold. Same with a flare. Rest, drinks pain relief and sleep!
  • Posted

Thanks appendectomy and all of you for your replies.  Pain is horrid today ....last night I had roasted veg with onions in and chilli! Oops!  Plus three glasses of wine ! Even bigger oops !  So etching on there is the culprit but unsure which! Xxxx
  • Posted

Onion & Garlic are a big NO at most times , they are a common trigger , avoid them as much as poss .
  • Posted

I think you definitely need to go to the doctor and get some antibiotics as you could be developing an infection which will need to be treated.

I had to start a course last Monday after feeling that niggling pain you get the week before and thought I'd be well enough to go back to work which I did Monday. Big mistake as today its like a

repeat of last week all over again barely able to move about due to a dull heavy ache on left hand side and feeling exactly as you are with slight fever. Now signed off for two weeks by a very understanding doctor who described the infection as like a graze which is basically like an open sore which I must admit is exactly like it feels. Anyway he said completely rest so that it has chance to heal with a very light bland diet, no fruit or vegetables so as not to over work the colon. Am following his advice eating white bread, plain rice sect so will let you know how it goes but it does make sense really as I think the niggling pain now was the start of the infection as you know something is "not quite right" and as I had a very busy week that probably contributed. Any way get yourself to the doctor and good luck!

• Posted

Hi, did you get your pain sorted?

I found this thread because I'm suffering with stomach pain for the past 6 weeks too. It started early hours in the morning one day when I was woke up with an excruciating pain in the right side of my stomach. It eventually dulled down, and the next day I ended up at the hospital. They said I didn't have a UTI, but had blood in my urine. My blood test showed high white blood cells. As I say, I still have stomach pain 6 weeks later although it's never been quite as bad as it was that day it woke me from my sleep.

It can happen at any time of day, sometimes the pain is sharp, sometimes crampy and sometimes it's dull - and when it's dull it's more of an annoyance/discomfort than a pain. Sometimes it occurs pretty bad during eating or shortly after eating, but this is not always the case.

When you say you had a 'flare' what do you mean? I'm not able to see what group you posted this discussion on, I'm sure if I could see what group it is I'd be able to tell what you're talking about when you talk about flares. I'm really hoping you will see this reply, I know it's been a while since you first posted.

• Posted

Hi Chemise

So sorry to hear that you've been so poorly. I hope that you've been back to the doctor and you don't say if you have had antibiotics? The flare up that I get is a pain on my left side that leaves me feeling really exhausted and it's painful when moving about. Fortunately I am over the last bout but as everyone is aware on this site you know the next one is just around the corner and have to watch every thing you eat. When I have the attack I try to eat a very bland diet and drink plenty of water sometimes it can pass over in a few days but when it starts to go on then you need antibiotics to get rid of any infection before you start to feel better.

Hope this helps and keep reading the posts on this site, I found it very supportive when I was ill last year and you'll get lots of good advice from people who understand.

Good luck smile

Jenny

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

When the doctor thought it was a UTI she gave me a 3 day course of trimethoprim but it did nothing at all. When I went to the hospital with severe pain the surgeon was annoyed that the doctor had gave me them, saying that even if it was a UTI she shouldn't have gave me those antibiotics.

I'm still getting the pains and I've been told it's going to take at least 2 weeks to get an appointment at my doctors surgery as they're too busy sad

Chenise

• Posted

Hi Chenise

I can't believe the doctor gave you those antibiotics, that's what I get prescribed for a water infection!! I was lucky to get an appointment on the day I realised it wasn't going to go away anytime soon an i do hope if you pester the surgery you will get an earlier appointment. In the meantime take paracetamol which helped me with the pain an a bland diet and I hope you get better soon.

Jenny

• Posted

Thank you, I've been taking paracetamol which helps most of the time but not always. And what's worse is that I've been advised to take ibuprofen for an unrelated chest issue, but whenever I take the ibuprofen it irritates my stomach rolleyes

Chenise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.