copd angina Tripple A

Posted , 5 users are following.

my husband has been on oxygen  24/7 for over two years  has not been out of bed or out of the house in that time  he is 75  has taken prozac  for anxiety  and  numourous  meds  for his  breathing ramipril  inhalers ect  has given up smoking for two weeks  chest he says  is clear no tightness...now he thinks he can stop taking his meds he has taken upon himself  to  do this once before and found he started to feel unwell. its very hard work as i am his full time carer  do not know what esle to try to get him out of bed he has lost an awful lot of weight  has hardly any muscle left  because of him been  so inactive not using his  legs any suggetions

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've heard some good results about oxygen therapy so I'm going to try it 

there as been some good reviews .i will spray it to the back of my throat 

so it goes into my lungs

• Posted

Will let you know how I get on but people say they an breath better 
  • Posted

Hi Susan

You and your husband are having a rough time. I hope that you get respite assistance, for all caregivers need that.

Only a doctor can say for sure but it seems likely that your husband needs to stay on his meds. If he has a sense of humor you could ask him to read aloud the instructions on all his meds. When he's done, with big innocent eyes you say something like "Gosh! Not a single time did they say you should stop this med if you quit smoking for 2 weeks. Guess you've got to to keep taking them all", and give him a big kiss then leave the room for at least an hour so he can't argue.

How does he get his meds? Does the doc or nurse come to your house? Do they go along with him staying in bed?

Two weeks quit is good but I have to ask: if your husband is bedridden for 2 years and keeps smoking who gets his cigs for him? If your husband stays in bed all the time, it is partly because everything he needs is being brought to him. Obviously you can't stop enabling him in that way without first having his strength and ability assessed by a physical or occupational therapist ( who teaches adaptability to life's physical needs). They might be able to say if and how much strength and mobility he can regain.

IMHO, you should get yourself assessed too for exhaustion. Good luck.

• Posted

Hard to understand how the medics have allowed your husband to stay in bed for so long assuming he has been under the care of a visiting nurse, doctor or community matron, if none of these people have been to see your husband in 2 years and you have been able to get your husband to a doctor I suggest you contact your husbands doctor and ask that your husband be referred to the Occupational Therapy Team, the community matron for monitoring and any other service that may be appropriate. 

Of course if you are not in UK you will have to access these services in the country you are currently residing.

Best wishes V

• Posted

I think you need someone else to help take care of him. Sounds like he should of quit smoking and tried getting out of bed ages ago. I am sure he is used to you taking care of him and giving him everything he wants. And when you try to argue or voice your concerns I about not stopping meds, I assume you are ignored. I am gonna be corny here but don't love him to death, take care of yourself.
  • Posted

My heart goes out to you Susan.  What a difficult  situation to be in.   I am going to recommend you check out  Dr.Noah Greenspan's webinars on You Tube and his support group on Facebook....it's called Ultimate Pulmonary Wellness and there are a  medical professionals who often answer questions in additon to members giving support like the wonderful members do here. When I was first diagnosed a year ago  I was in a panic but the webinars helped calm me down because they gave me motivation to help myself keep this awful beast at bay. Please please remember to take care of yourself so you can take care of hubbie. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.