COPD fev1 levels?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Was diagnosed with COPD fev1 56%. I have just had a second breathing test and am now being told that my Fev1 level is 69%. This is very confusing ???

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Without knowing details. You could be like me with a component of Asthma. The Asthma should be treatable and therefor your FEV1 score should improve.

I am taking my third lung functionality test next Monday and am hoping to see an improvement from my 31% FEV1.

• Posted

Not really, lung function percentages can vary from day to day or even hour to hour:  it's surely good news that it's now higher than before?
    • Posted

yes Im really pleased. went for my review (1 week after test) and its been confirmed. The Copd nurse said its improved so much due to my stopping smoking and taking up some exercise. It was 56% last sept (even though nobody told me I had COPD then!) now its 69%. She said with the 'total' results im now in the mild stage rather than moderate . So hopefully with exercise etc can try to keep it at bay.
    • Posted

That's fantastic news!   Keep up the exercise, especially the breathing exercises, and stay off the smokes and away from other people's smoke and you can probably keep it at that level for ages.    I've kept mine at 70% for 3 years now
  • Posted

Hi there

Its not unheard of that your test results can differ from one test to another.

Try not to worry

Best regards

• Posted

Does anyone know please what a "prospective" FEV1 level is ?

Mine was qouted as 15% (and used as a reason not to proceed with any palliative treatment) but as lung function decreases as the disease progresses, don't we all have a "prospective" of 15% at some stage ? 

• Posted

That would make sense, but to be sure why not ask whoever used the term?   I don't understand the relevance to palliative treatment either.
    • Posted

'Twas in a letter from a consultant at a London hospital essentially saying that I was too far gone for any potentially life improving / extending treatment like coils.

I would love to ask my local consultant about "potential" FEV1 but getting to see her again is proving very difficult as the promised appointment is not forthcoming, 

• Posted

Can't you just phone the consultant and ask him/her what was meant?
    • Posted

Yeah but no but I've tried that game a few times already - consultant is always either out or on leave while sec is not a good message taker.

Thanks for the input but not a crucial matter - was just curious to know if anyone else in the group had heard the term used.

• Posted

FEV1 levels are the highest by midday (they slowly increased from morning until they hiot the top at about midday) and are declining slowly in the afternoon. This is according to very serious scientific surveys among many populations.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.