Coping with colitis during pregnancy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been living with colitis for 10years and usually get a flare once a year which can be controlled with steroids.. However I'm 23wks pregnant and exp a flare again which is worse than usual and I'm looking to see if anyone else on here as went through this during pregnancy as it's worrying me and getting me down and I feel guilty taking steroids but managing without pain relief even though I was prescribed codeine... I  Would appreciate any feedback on how anyone else coped or been in a similar situation... C x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire.im also a Claire.

I've suffered with colitis for 16 years.Had my 1st child last year. Flared throughout my pregnancy. I took steroids and blood thinners and paracetamol. I stressed all about it. But that just made it worse.

My pregnancy consisted of 3 consultants at least 2 appts a week at hospital nearly 40 mins away. They said it can be dangerous when you flare. And that the babies tend to be smaller.

Well after all that and I changed my diet-I ate healthier...i had a healthy baby girl. She was not quite 7 lbs which I thought she would be bigger, because my partner and I are tall.

No worries tho cos she makes up for it now at 17 months. Docs at least are honest and tell you what could be...

Try not to feel guilty, you need the help and try not to stress, think of when the baby will be born. Its worth it. I'll only have one more tho. If I can as ill have more fuss next time round from the docs...

Hope this helps.

You and the baby will be fine...😃 x

• Posted

Hi Claire thanx for getting in touch and yes it does help knowing that and so glad your wee girl was born well and now thriving 😊 I've just spoke to IBD nurse again and waiting for consultant to call me back again and have antenatal appointment tomorrow so like you I think they will keep a close eye... Got me on 40mg steroids doubled my asacol and a disperine daily.. feel miserable about it all but yes your right stressing makes it worse.. I had changed my diet to being really healthy and everything was great and then boom!!! You just feel isolated with colitis as you will know and finding people with similar experiences helps a lot..

we are having a wee boy so just trying to focus on the wee arrival coming in November ..

thanx again for getting in touch and good luck on baby number two in the future 😊 x

• Posted

hi claire, im sharon, a wont bang on to much and confuse you, my eldest son was 6 monthes when i discovered i had ulcerative colitus, suffered badly for 6 years in and out of hospital, massive weight loss, and came very close to not being here at all, ended up with a full colostomyback in 1994, however i discovered from reading a UC mag that you can still have children, this made me over joyed as i was desperate for another dispite all the health probs, i conceived straight away and carried well and pilled weight on which was a little awkward trying to change the puoch with a big bump on my belly but i managed somehow, unfortnutly i began to have probs in my eyes which turned out to be eyeritus, and on going for my post natal appointment  was told it was birth control that had triggered it off, and almost sent me blind so more medication and a struggle to do all the nesserserry things you do with new babys, hense the children thing  stopped at two, my youngest is now 18,  a guess it was easier looking back i never carried the boys during the colitus being active but it kicked in after i gave birth both times wich was hard facing the responserbility of new babys and being incredably ill but was supported well fortunutly, the support is out there for you love so just grab as much as you can,you deserve it so let them do there job, earn there money and give you all the care and attention you need and look forward to enjoying your new baby, it can be a stressful time having colitus/crones, and sacrefices have to be made, ive no regrets what so ever having gone through all the suffering, ive got two grown up lads that i love the bones of off and wouldnt change that for anything, good luck to you and yours, all will be fine and enjoy the coming of your baby, take care fo each other x
    • Posted

Hi saron thanx for your email and omg you certainly had it bad after your boys but so glad you fought through it and managed as it's such a horrendous condition and we all suffer from it very differently ... A friend of mine from school got colitis after her kids wer born aswell hadn't suffers from it before hand and like you she had the bag and went through few ops etc but keeps well now considering..

i was admitted into hospital last week the same day I posted about this and was kept in for 5 days on IV steroids and now home on meds for 2 months and it's now starting to get under control but will have to just take it easy and hope it maintains throughout rest of my pregnancy .. I was also told I could have a big flare after baby is born but I'm praying I'm getting mines just now and will be ok after the birth... I've started to relax more about having to take the meds as I know the flare itself will be more dangerous so I've sort of accepted this is the way it has to be for now.  

Baby is moving about lots which keeps me happy and I've to get another scan in 2weeks again so at least I'm getting closely monitored aswell.

hope your keeping in good health and all the best for the future xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.