Coping with menopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been reading the posts on and of, and it has been a revelation that so many women are suffering so much.

I have to say perimenopause was more difficult but actually not as difficult as premenstral tension. When I think back now that I am a year into menopause, perimenopause was unpredictable, periods coming when they wanted, still suffering acne outbreaks, headaches, mood swings and night sweats. But I coped without medication even though I had been through a bad time at work and then redundancy.

Now in menopause, my blood pressure went up so on medication to control that. Had a breast scare, but found it was fatty tissue and now experiencing digestive issues, like IBS. However, the positives have been, my skin has cleared up, the best it has been since 16! I don't get the swings I mood, and where I might get annoyed with a situation, I can think it through rather than be reactive.

I do still get foggy moments, but writing myself notes around the house or at work is great, and really boosts confidence when people are amazed you remembered to do something.

I have noticed I had gained a few pounds, mostly in my belly region, not helped by the caesarean section I had 14 years ago, which makes that part of my body a bit of a bugbear for me. But on the positive side, I haven't gained that much weigh, it is more the fact that my body shape has naturally changed. The way I cope is keeping active with gardening; this helps to work up a sweat as I am beding, stretching, digging, pruning, pulling, therefore using various muscles. Also I watch what I eat and drink. Having developed headaches from drinking coffee, I don't drink this now. Having become lactose intolerant, although I suspect I have had IBS for a long time, and tolerated it I have reviewed my diet, and have low fod-map diet and take vitamins.

I make an effort to meet up with friends and colleagues, and volunteer as well as work full-time, this avoids me isolating myself and becoming depressed.

My home life is busy, with hubby and 14 year old daughter. Manage by having our own hobbies and interests. Sexually, I still feel interested, and that side is more Ok for me Tha my husband. I think men also have problems in that department as they age!

I just wanted to put a positive post about this natural stage in women's lives, so that women don't feel completely down about menopause. Let's put it this way, I rather have my wisdom and knowledge than go back to being a naive 18 year old! Although physically, this would not be the case!??

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Roll on full menopause if I can experience what you are now experiencingredients.

I could actually handle most of the negatives if it wasn't for the extreme anxiety that has come with it. Every ache & pain sends me into a panic frenzy, trying to match symptoms with the worse case scenario nightmare

But have to stay positive I know

• Posted

I would count your self as one of the lucky ones and i wish we were all so blessed.
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear this Doe. I hope things improve for you. I seem to be following the same pattern as my Mum, who sailed through menopause, or so it seemed. Although she has some health issues now.

I have to say things haven't always been easy, particularly with some of the health anxieties, but things have been manageable and never overwhelming. Thinking of you and wishing you well.

• Posted

I would count your self as one of the lucky ones and i wish we were all so blessed.
    • Posted

Oh I agree you are very lucky !! I could only hope this gets better for me and so many others ! I'm 5 weeks post op TAH and I kept my overies I'm age 54 I've been hit with all this at once extreme sweat and feel like 200 degrees of heat through my body so moody my poor husband has been so good I've had and emotional roller coaster ride for past several weeks not sleeping like I did before surgery but had to have surgery I had 8lbs of fibroids pressing on all lower areas had lots of pain with it and heavy periods that were out oh control now wishing I had lived with the pain nothing like this now that I've been dealt! Hope everyone could get relief of this horrible life now!!

• Posted

I agree that reading the posts on here it seems that all women have to deal with is doom and gloom and misery. But that is why we are here. It is a comfort to find out you are not on your own and learning from others how to deal with each different symptom. I expect many women sail through the menopause and therefore have no need to visit a site like this. You are lucky and I know a lot of it is because of your positivity and having the strength to not let menopause interfere with your life. Any tips you have will be gratefully received! 
    • Posted

Positivity is key. A persons frame of mind is important.

I grew up with a parent who was very negative, and all through my life I have fought against negativity. Even through two miscarriages, I remember just thinking what was the reason for the miscarriages rather than feeling emotional. I could see another lady crying inconsolably, and wanting to put my arm around her and say it would be Ok.

I suppose I try to find practical solutions as a coping mechanism.

All the very best to you and all those who have responded. 😉

• Posted

Thanks ladies I've always been a bubbly positive person but this has been such a hard and rough surgery and now all the side effects! But it is good to know others are struggling with the same issues i'm determined to figure out how to get rid of the symptoms and go back to enjoying life again and put my smile back to work soon!! Thanks this does help to chat with others

• Posted

your positive post is very much appreciated Chuckj
    • Posted

Thank you Gentleballads. I do not under-estimate what some ladies are going through, but just want to convey some hope.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.