Core exercises to help back with osteoporosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

People with osteoporosis in the lower back as well as arthritis and issues coming off herniated discs can apparently benefit by improving strength in their core as the front and back are connected.

This is one:

Pull belly button into your backbone while lying down with legs bent. If you are doing it right you should find it hard to breathe. Hold for 20 seconds four times a day. 

Another one is facing the front and on your knees and repeating the  pulling the stomach in.

Apparently it wakes up the muscles that support your lower back.

Anyone got more and even easier ones?

Our muscles are important to support us especially when we have conditions like osteoporosis.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Nice one Kathleen, even I can make use of that information. I've been concentrating on hip and femur exercises but I do need to do some for my osteopenia in my spine. I'll give is a try and see how I get on.

• Posted

Add to above lifting one leg up at a time. Maybe you can find it online to see it more clearly. That is when you are lying on your back.
  • Posted

These are the sort of exercises that pilates gives you, with the specific aim of strengthening core muscles. I've been going to a gentle pilates class for older people for several years now and can actually feel and use muscles in my back that I didn't know I had!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.