Costo

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Costo and I am feeling really depressed. I had a fall onto my chest about 2 year ago running then about 2 months ago started a fitness regime of push-ups and planks. My first pain was like a heart attack on my left breast. I flew overseas and lived on painkillers and since I have been back there hadn't been a day in 5 weeks without pain. It can be in my sternum chest ribs or siatic and I am living on code in and anti inflammatory tablets. Every time I walk or do anything slightly vigorous it flares up worse the next day. I live near Melb and are seeing a good chiropractor . I drink 3 sting coffee per day and get a bit stressed at times which might contribute . Any help or ideas would be welcome before I go mad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I m sorry you are going through this!!! I was diagnosed back in December 2015. I take neurontin(Not a controled substance) 1000 mgs per day. and Just started seeing a rheumatologist. Ice  packs ae very helpful as well as a TENS unit. Its importtant to know eventhough your in pain..Thank God this isnt serious. Yes it can come and go. Also, I go to a counselor..which is so helpful to me. I feel somedays I'm a burden to my family, but I cant help it , and do the best I can, as Im sure you do!!! Hang in there!!! It gets better  smile smile smile smile smile  Also they now do steroid injections in your chest if nothing else works! Good Luck. Im here if you want to chat.

• Posted

You should probably also see an orthopedist..if you havent already.
    • Posted

Grace if you don't mind me asking did anything happen to start yours off?

• Posted

Not anything  I can remember. I just went to the ER because I felt pressure in my chest. It felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. I believe prior to it I had a bad cold, but thats all.
    • Posted

Grace the chiro had eased the pain from my ribs and I have been doing gentle side rib stretches to open up the area. The pain has swung to my back area but I can take a milder anti inflammatory to stop the stiffness and pain so it's much more bearable. Do you know when you are not in an acute stage? What scares me is any little thing may swing me back into the last 20 days of hell

• Posted

Hi, I have been officially diagnosed with the costo syndrome.

I am a fashion designer and stress is my worst enemy. I have taken all sorts of painkillers for 3 years now. Unfortunately I have an artificial mitral valve so I have to take it easy on the inflammatory pills due to my warfrin in take.

Best med ice ice ice.....and if it gets worse prescribed weed..to relax.

• Posted

Unfortunately prescribed weed is still illegal here in Aust I have a cold atm and blowing my nose has triggered off yet another attack this time it's my whole right rib area I just feel exhausted. Going to the chiro today so hopefully another back adjustment will loosen up that tight back and take some pressure of the front ribs

• Posted

Mehmuna thanks for the advice on using ice. How long do you leave it on for. Ps I had to look up where Mali was in the map it's amazing how someone in Africa can have the same symptoms as someone in Aust . I agree stress makes it all worse I came back from a 28 our flight 4 weeks ago in cattle class sat in a funny position with a tight wire bra on then went back to work with a new stressful job. I have no doubt this has triggered off this chronic attack I just can't seem to get over it

• Posted

I'm not sure...2 minutes or 5. Then move it to below my breast and to the back and shoulder blades....

Good luck...its rough but apparently they is a light at the end of the tunnel....so I have been told

• Posted

I hope do it certainly restricts your life and makes you feel depressed 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.