Costochondritis pain and discomfort

Posted , 202 users are following.

Im 31 and was diagnosed with costochondritis about a year ago. Its kinda lasted the whole year, but recently, over the past few months its been really bad....went back to my gp twice in the last 2 weeks because was convinced it was something more serious.

The main tenderness has been on my left lower rib cage, just under my breast, but now I have pains on my upper right breast plate. My gp has requested ecg/chest xray and blood test to reassure me that there is nothing seriously wrong (still awaiting to have these tests done, but should be anytime soon) hence the reason im on this forum as even tho my gp actually said to me 'I will fall off the back of my chair ifit is anything more serious...I still can't stop worrying as the pain is so bad.

Im getting so anxious about it too, especially at night just before bed, then find it so difficult to sleep, the more anxious I get the worse the pains seems.

Does anyone else find themselves pushing onto the pain when it hurts? This is probably making it worse I know, but can't help wanting to hold the pain!

Im really glad to have read all the discussions on this forum, it really is giving me some reassurance that it isn't just me and that something that isnt life threatening can be so uncomfortable and painful sad

19 likes, 370 replies

370 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I too have costochondritis, after several trips to A&E, and after countless ECG's and an x-ray the doctor thought it was costochondirits, so relieved it isn't anything worse! I understand how painful it can be, what have you tried to use or take for the pain?

I'm only 21 and already know what if feels like to have a heart attack, oh the joy rolleyes

• Posted

I too was diagnosed with this condition recently, but mine only took two trips to the doctors at first they thought it was a urine infection, but the pain came back and I saw a different doctor who said it was costachondritis ( she told me about this site) she also said if medication does'nt help she would send me for scan to check my gall bladder, but I have been on strong anti-infamatries for a few days and fingers crossed they seem to be working, they have really helped with the pain, but I have had a couple of good days before then the pain comes back frown
    • Posted

Hey. I actually felt like the past couple days I had a bad bladder, urine infection (just went to for tests) but now most the day left ribcage and breast bone it hurts when I breath.. Not a crushing heart attack pain but a very uncomfortable stabbing pain every so often when I breathe... Think its to do with my urine/bladder or costachondritis?! Please let me know.. (also I have acid reflux disease and it doesn't feel like this)
  • Posted

I have had costochondritis for over 20 years.I get some relief from wheat packs(heat) and ice packs. Using anti-inflammatories for more than a few days is asking for trouble. My first attack of costochondritis was brought on after vigorous swimming in a public pool.

I strongly believe absolute rest from sports or gym for at least 3 months is essential to avoid this becoming chronic like mine. I tried to ignore the pain and "play on" which in hindsight was a disaster.

• Posted

I was diagnosed in 2013 I thought I was having a heart attack after a complete cardiac workup it was not a heart attack they said costochondritis I used to push carts they said that's where I most likely did it ... now I'm a cashier and recently came back from elbow surgery and pulling pop ...beer and cases of water have aggravated it again I'm in so much pa in I'm making myself think heart again ..... I saw you said heat/wet packs.... did it really help I was told ice and 800mgs of ibuprofen.
    • Posted

Hi I'm also a cashier and have just recently started suffering with this currently suffering as we speak lay with hot water bottle on my chest ... I did think it sounded silly of me to think that pulling heavy items across the checkout caused this , I also think anxiety , stress and worry add to mine thinking it's something worse , reading the threads on this site is reassuring.
    • Posted

oh the wheat packs are wonderful! feels good on the chest and seems like it loosens it all up. i tried ice tonight reluctantly and it actually seems to work good. my xyphoid is also painful roo
    • Posted

Hullo jc2013, I have this pain for over 20 years too. Have you got any permanent solution? 
  • Posted

hi i suffered with this for almost four years from 2008, after chest xrays, blood tests etc and left on anti- inflammatries and co- drydomol my doctor finally decided to send me to physio in 2012 it was amazing very painful but well worth it, the physio also used some ultrasound treatment on my back as she couldnt use it on the chest area because she didnt want to use it too close to my heart , i have to say i have had a year now with almost no pain at all litlle twinges here and there but thats all, its a awful condition and i feel for all of you who are suffering with it ,

sadly now a year on i have now got frozen shoulder so now the whole process of pain starts again sad ,

just wondering if there is any chance there could be any relation to this as both are muscular pain !

• Posted

Hi Gina6,

I too have suffered from frozen shoulder syndrome but it was about 5 or 6 years prior to being diagnosed with Costachondritis. Being that I have auto immune illness, I am wondering if these symptoms tend to be common for those with any auto immune problems. I am so sorry you are going through that as it is incredibly painful! Hope your therapist is able to help you through it. 

• Posted

Hi gina6, I'm not sure if my symptoms are Costachondritis now as from what I've read about on here and other sites, the pain I've been getting is not in the right place for this condition, after blood tests my doctor is now treating me for a bactiaral infection, and is sending me for a scan to check my gallbladder as well, but I stopped goin to the gym for a couple of weeks as it says exercise can make it worse, and when I did try the gym again this week, after about 30 mins i got the pain back but not as bad, I think that's because I've been on anti-imflamatries and antibiotics, but my ribs now feel as if they are brusied, like when you have fell down the stairs or somthing like that, so I don't know what to think! My doctor wants to see me again when I've finished my course of medication, but I can't see her for another 3 weeks as she is goin on holiday.
  • Posted

hi dawn , its hard to tell i guess all i know is mine started with chest pain which got the doctors panicking so much they called an ambulance as the symptoms are so similar to a heart attack, i knew it wasnt though, also the first time i had it i couldnt speak as basically any movement in the chest hurt , i was told it was caused by inflamation between the breast bone and ribs i had pain anywhere from the bottom of my ribs all the way into my shoulder bones, like you say it can feel like your ribs are bruised or even like you cant breath from tightening in the ribs, the first time i had it it lasted 2 months, the doctor said it could last up to 18 months on and off but that i would never have it as bad again, he was right the next time i had it about 6 months later it wasnt quite as bad but still enough for me to need a month of work, it gradually got better and i could go sometime months without even a twinge but when it did come back it was always the chest pain and then moving around the ribs shoulders etc. it lasted 4 years and i do believe the physio was the answer it was painful but if you can deal with it, it will help.

have you got pain killers ? i was given co - drydomol they did help, maybe you could see another doctor , doesnt hurt to get a second opinion ? especially if you are worried i wouldnt leave it 3 weeks and you cant stay in pain. try heat pads or ice that can help too

hope this helps let me know how you get on

• Posted

Hello all

I am just wondering if what the doctor told me is right as i had no pain under the rib cage......but i do from time to time get that pain and the only way to mask it is to push it (called Guarding) but when i told them of this before they said that it was caused by my daughter when i was carrying her befre birth.

what do you make of this then

• Posted

difficult to know really p123 as i said in my thread i was told its inflammation between the ribs and breast bone but can affect any area from the bottom of the ribs into the shoulders

ive had had 4 children and never heard of this guarding , how old is your daughter ?

• Posted

Hi all,

I am 19 and in July recently suffered from costochrondritis which apparently, I have read is also linked to severe panic attacks for about 2 weeks. I still suffer with aches however it has lessened with time. I had been going to the gym running and experiencing a pain in my left side (located by the 5th and 6th rib) which the doctor told me was a 'stitch' however I knew it was more than that. I suffered from pain in my chest, what felt like something was sitting on my chest and pain in my side, also tingling which I'm told is quite common. After ECGs and Chest X Rays I was then told it was costo, however I have had it for 6 months now.

Can anybody tell me how to treat it and what exercise I can do?

Thanks

• Posted

Hello, 

I am facing same situation right now. I am wondering do you still have pain ( looks like you added this cmt a year agoo) you reply is much appricated .

Orient.

• Posted

Have you figured this out at all? I'm going through similar. Very extensive heart work up all good. But a constant dull mid chest discomfort and transient quick pains in my left rib cage (below my left breast) happening almost every time I bend over. I've had this constant dull mid chest discomfort since September. The year before that I had it a couple times...lasting a week or 2 then gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.