Costochrondritis & Amitriptyline

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had costo for around 8 weeks now. I started taking ibuprofen and paracetamol for about 4 weeks which helped a bit at first but then pain got worse!

I am now on amitriptyline and been taking for 9 days and hasn't improved much. Does anyone know how long it takes to work 🤔

OR do I have chronic costo which needs different treatment. I am currently looking into acupuncture!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I too am waiting to go for accupuncture. Neurontin is a med I take. Helps alot as well as a TENS unit. Hope this helps!!! GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Hi grace smile

I'm still off work! Feel guilty as this is my 3rd week but knowing that even the slightest activity brings the pain on more know that I'm not quite ready.

I've self referred for acupuncture today as working in a hospital u can do that. Don't get seen any sooner but saves going through GP

The amitriptyline seem to be taking a while to kick in. The only thing I've noticed at the moment is eventually when I do I sleep better!

Let me know if u hear anymore from docs and if I manage to have it done before will let u know how it goes smile

• Posted

I have the same pain killers just seem to take edge off I can't take ibuprofen it such a miserable pain I like u would like to wave a magic wand and make it go when the pain dose ease u are waiting for it to rise it's ugly head I wish you all the best and hope u can find somthing that helps

• Posted

Thanks cherralyn, yes I've noticed once u drop any dosage like ibuprofen the pain is there waiting! So obviously t doesn't cure it and I don't like having to keep taking tablets sad

• Posted

I'm a year in and still waiting lol All the best pal but this takes a while to go away so brace yourself for the long haul

• Posted

Hi ranger I didn't realise you were on amitriptyline? It does work as my sleep has improved but still restless half he night first!

They just haven't helped the pain yet sad I'm only taking 10mg. Maybe this is too low?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.