coughing up Blackish colored mucus in the morning, been present for over 10 years now getting worse

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there, ive been a smoker for 15 years , and that includes ciggarettes, Cannabis and most recently, Cannabanoids or legal highs as there often known as, with me smoking between 8 and 15 a day since i was 16, ive been coughing up a black, brownish mucus for pretty much the past 10 years , 90% of it happens within the first hour or two of waking up , so its mostly whilst ive been in the shower in the morning and ive always just thought it was down too my body getting rid of all the tar and crap ive been smoking the day before, which of course i thought was a good thing as i was expelling all the garbage, but its recently got much worse and ive not smoked any weed or CBDs in almost a year now, only Cigarettes , and roughly 12 a day at the moment. i had childhood asthma and was often hospitalised as a child but my peak flow readings have been great ever since i am a good weight for my age and height, around 70kg and 5 ft 7" tall, yet i cannot understand why this is getting worse, i have had 2 very sudden bereavements in the family of late and i dont know if this makes any difference but ive been on Ritalin or Dexedrine for ADHD for almost 18 years, when i take these it does get a little worse the symptoms but then again, increasing ones blood pressure heart rate and pulse through stimulants you would expect a slight increase from them anyway, but as i said its now getting worse ive also developed extremely bad breath the last 4 - 6 months , and i cant seem to get rid of it . have you got any thoughts as to what it could be? ive had a full bloood work up and a chest xray over the past 3 months and nothing has been found! im really worried to be honest :-(

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i would also like to add that im fit and healthy i believe in every other way and i try to cycle or jog at least 1 - 2 km a day, everyday, i dont lead a sendientary lifestyle and get out as much as i can , the mucus defenitely goes up and i cough up more after exercise , any help id soley appreciate im stressing like hell over this, if it means anything else im also on pregablin (lyrica) 300mgs a day or GAD gerenalised anxiety disorder, been on them for over a year,and i feel like there destroying my mental health at the same time , ive had benzodiazapines for similar anxiety in the past but never have i had muscle twitches and contradictual anxiety from them like this is giving me, HORRIBLE MEDICATION!!! could they be harming my mental health on a long term basis? hope to hear from someone, anyone. thanks  
  • Posted

Smoking or smoke inhalation tends to cause blackish phlegm.

I am suprised you say you are fit and healthy when you mention the medications you are taking. If you really want to be fit and healthy I think I would try and give up smoking.

• Posted

oh god i wouldnt say im perfect, but im going on regardless, i mean the black phlegms been prsent for over a decade, and yes i have dropped my smoking down to roughly 5 a day now, on the way to abstinence , ive been back to the doctors again cause of the cough and as ive noticed the past few mornings ive woken up with a little bit of crusty black blood in my right ear, the docs said my airways are clear, peak flow readings are excellent but hes noticed a little bit of muck in my ear canal and said it looks to be a little Cattar , ive also self reduced the elvanse to 30mgs every other day and the pregablin ive reduced to 250mg from 450 6 weeks ago, and i will say this, there both horrible medications . ive been on pretty much every Benzo around for anxiety and CNS stmulant for ADHD and never had any physical withdrawal effects i never understood before, but i get a physical nervousness and shakes if i stop taking the pregablin to quickly and the elvanse or lisdexamfetamine effects last longer than methamphetamines , although unlike Meth, they make you want to fall asleep during the first hour of taking and within 2-3 hours the stimulating or concentrative effects of it are gone, and your left with 8-10 hours of lingering after effects and sleep deprivation, ive since discovered they were FDA approved and dispensed within 4 months of creation, coincidently around the same time chronic obesity syndrome was recognised as a clinical illness. never even heard of an immunisation that was rushed through approval so quickly let alone an extremely powerful and id say , dangerous stimulant. all ive gotta say on that particular drug is, STAY THE HELL AWAY ! and dont even consider it for children, its wrong , and potentially deadly!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.