Coughs and colds with MTX

Posted , 6 users are following.

Morning everyone. I've had a mild dry cough for a couple of weeks, which is now turning in to a cold as well. My very supportive wife is worried this may be related to my RA or MTX. I've been on MTX since diagnosis 4 months ago. haven't taken anything for it but am at the stage where I need to. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for, or that I should be avoiding?

also thank goodness for this forum, so reassuring, thank you to everyone who contributes.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you been taking your folic Acid tablets 24 hours after your MTX dose, most important helps with Vitamin B levels that the MTX wipes out.

I have been on MTX for 10 years now, am on 35mg once a week, as well as another immunine suppressor, so always watch for infections.  Get on top if possible chesty issues fairly quickly, Vit C and or multi vitamins for a start, and then if I have to see the GP, he gives me antibiotics especially if I am running a temp.

Thank goodness I don't have a lot of problems, even through a double hip replacement scared me a little that I might get an infection but hospital extra careful and I also used common sense.

Didn't take my MTX the same week of my surgery, surgeon approved, and because I am on MTX you are cyto toxic, dressed in bright purple, all dressings bagged up in purple bags, every time nurses had to deal with me dressed in purple aprons, purple sheets on bed, purple gowns rather than my own.

Caused a little anxiety as to why I was being treated differently to others in the ward, but when I explained why and also explained it couldn't affect them, but their germs could kill me, nurses also backed up my explaination even though it was a little simplistic.

I do not treat myself as though I am going to die from the first infection that hits me, go swimming in the local heated pool, nobody has told me not to, been doing it for years now, helps with exercises post hip replacemnts, do my own shopping, nothing has more nasty bugs than supermarket trolleys ughhhh, generally try to be sensible, wash hands, don't rub eyes with unwashed hands, general sensible clean rules, ceratinly don't go crazy with cleaning, you do need some bacteria.

• Posted

Thanks Lyn. I'm taking the folic, and a couple of supplements.

I think I'm just a little uncertain as it's the first minor problem I've had since I started the MTX so just wanted to be sure/get a little reassurance.

• Posted

No I have had two bouts of very bad chesty coughs and colds. Its getting everyone right now whether they are on MTX or not! Just keep taking your RA meds and ride the storm out! Its a nasty strain but I know so many people who have had it.
  • Posted

Hi

methotrexate does lower immune system but to be honest everyone has coughs and colds at the moment. I was told only to go to GP promptly if have an infection( throat , chest tummy bug etc) as may need antibiotics more than someone not on immune suppression drug. 

I Personally haven't had much problem with this in 3 years. I ve just missed out 1 weeks mxt as I was struggling to get rid of a cold- but that hasn't developed into an infection. I guess if you buy something over counter for cough it's worth checking ok with mxt.

A very very few people end up with mxt induced lung problems which stop when drug withdrawn. So it may be worth reading up on that so you know what that looks like.

• Posted

I am on methotrexate, plaquenil and orencia. I take folic acid daily and all the vitamin supplements I can get. I've had a morning cough with flame for about a year (quite smoking 6yrs ago). Doctors said its sinus drainge or something like that. The cough did not get worse but it's throughout the day now, sometimes dry, sometimes with flame and they still say its sinus, allergies, anything but med related. So just keep the doctors updated if the cough feels different or comes with shortness of breath or fever or rash and symtoms like that.

Scary.... but you really just have to be careful without being paranoid (when you figure out how, let me know)....wink)

• Posted

Thanks Kinjo1222. I'm not really getting the paranoia yet, but the wife has enough for both of us cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.