Could it be ALS im driving myself insane?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all im at 28 y.o female convinced 200% i have ALS. Ill start with my symtoms..

Around 5 months ago it started with a stiff neck that never got better no matter how much i got it worked on..

Then the weird stuff. I got excruciating groin pain and like period pain even when i didn't have my period.. that soon travelled to my knees and ankles...a stiff like feeling if you will..

Then after about 3 weeks i had a weird feeling in my right arm like i couldn't grab my pen.. but that went away after 48 hours and then i was just sore in both hands..

Then the twitching started basically the same day.. might i add my twitching is solely in my legs.

I have a burning sensation constantly in my shoulders and groins but not really anywhere else..

I have had my strength tested in legs and hands and both come back super strong and apparently I'm no cause for concern.. 2 doctors didn't even refer me to a neuro.

Im having a CT today to see if the nerve damage in my neck is compression and causing all of this. Im extremely sore everywhere which I'm told generally isn't a huge first symptom of ALS.

I don't feel weak when i walk, i dont feel overly weak at all, i just feel uncordinated like everything is heavy.

I havent lost any muscle definition as of yet.

I haven't had any troubles with speah or anything to date and i expressed my concerns to doc and said muscle spasms probably a result of my ongoing amxiety because I'm convinced i have this.

He also said everything has happened to closely together for it to be a condition like this.

I keep crying but that is also only after i have worked myself up over it.

Prior to this i had a serious chest infection (probably 3 months earlier) and i serious food poisoning where i was hospitalised.

Im literally driving myself insane.

They say it's so rare for someone of my age, especially female to have anything to worry About but i seriously am.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms and if so have you been diagnosed with anything inparticular???

Thanks, ash

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Very similar here actually almost identical except mine started with back pain they said it's neuropathy I've had MRI cts seen a neurologist I'm staying to do a little better and the crying and twitching is from anxiety is what they say please keep me updated as of to what they find out about you and I will keep you updated wish you luck I find sun light and exercise help me
    • Posted

Hi. Well i went to the doc who adv i have low b12 levels. Not extremely low but low. I had troubles worn this 5 years ago as well and had to have it injected. He said for someone so going on such a good diet is very strange for me to test low not once but twice. He said my symptoms are still a bit weird but could be all related. Still thinks twitching is anxiety related and nothing to be concerned about at this stage. So I'm back on medication and hopefully the injection helps. Still not overly 100% satisfied but yeah.
  • Posted

Hi Jo thanks for your input. So nothing came up from yours either? Might i add i had severe nausea/vertigo 3 days before all of this started
  • Posted

Hugs, Ashleigh! I can tell you (and Joanna) are frightened, and you have symptoms you're not used to...but it makes far more sense that you have something else, other than ALS!

But, that said, I was starting to fear that I had MS. I had a list of odd symptoms and I'm in my 40s, but quite healthy so I was worried...and discovered I have very low B12, which has since been raised with a WORLD of difference!!  I had no idea they could all be related and fairly easily managed!!  So, please believe me when I say there's probably a better explanation...and don't - literally - worry yourselves sick!!

Not that neck/spine/disc problems are a walk in the park, but let's see what happens when you have some more tests done.  I think you'll find other answers, and I hope they're fixable and detected soon!!  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi. Well i went to the doc who adv i have low b12 levels. Not extremely low but low. I had troubles worn this 5 years ago as well and had to have it injected. He said for someone so going on such a good diet is very strange for me to test low not once but twice. He said my symptoms are still a bit weird but could be all related. Still thinks twitching is anxiety related and nothing to be concerned about at this stage. So I'm back on medication and hopefully the injection helps. Still not overly 100% satisfied but yeah.
  • Posted

I to feel like you I feel that I have als.a few months ago i started to feel extreme.pain in thr right side of my nwck which was swollen and sore to touch this then spread round to the back of my neck. Had an ultra sound and aparently i have a sprained muscle. I have had pain I both my legs and I have woken myself from sleep with muscle pain and cramp which feels sore to put weight on when walking. I have had pain in both arms and just recently my toes and feet have had like a feeling of pins and needles. I to have had twitching in my legs but seems to be when I am sitting not lying down. I have been to see the doctor but could be due to stress lack of sleep etc. I don't feel any weakness in arms or legs and have not had difficulties with lifting thing or speech but still have that feeling. Would appreciate any input. Thank
    • Posted

• Posted

• Posted

when my doctor told me that i was low on B12 , he just recomended that I buy it over the counter.  I have a bottle of B12 now that I bought over the counter.  It is only one a day and it is a small pill that melts in my mouth.  I am wondering if it is strong enough.  How can I tell if I need more??  thanks for answering. 
    • Posted

Hiya. Im still 200% convinced i have ALS. it sucks. Doc said levels not low enough for it really to be affecting me. Noticed also my twitching getting worse and read somewhere that candida and metal based anti biotics can contribute to motor neuropathy which is something I've had alot of lately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.