Could it be Lyme?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was bitten by a tick three weeks ago.

Two weeks ago I spotted a rash, as you can see in the pictures I will attach.

I live in a country that, througout history, it has only one case reported of Lyme. So doctors say is very unlikely.

I've had two hemograms, both seem fine. In the last two weeks I've experienced difficulties of swallowing, headache, muscular pain in my back, chest pain and difficulties to breathe, a panic attack, and now my knees are swollen.

Doctors think it's an alergic reaction. 

What are your thoughts? I will see a third doctor tomorrow, an infectologist. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My thoughts are: don't let the doctors fob you off with saying it's an 'allergic reaction'. Chances are you don't have Lyme but it's possible. The rash looks very similar to mine - I've been very ill for over three years with acute Lyme. I wasn't treated properly initially which set me back. So insist on a month of doxycycline, as high a dose as they'll give you. Good luck, let me know what happens.

• Posted

Yes I agree with princematt. You need to start a course of doxycycline even if just to put your mind at rest that you have had treatment as early as possible. If it isn't Lyme it won't do you any harm and it will ease any worries for you in the future. It's the not knowing that causes you anxiety and stress.

Good Luck

• Posted

The doxycycline made my skin prickle all over. Annoying but worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.