Could this be mirtazapine wd???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, hope you all doing well.

Haven't posted in a long time. Had horrendous insomnia withdrawing from mirt for a good 3 months, Drs told me to stop cold turkey as no wd!! Managed to get through that very difficult period & finally started sleeping well for roughly 6wks, now insomnia seems to have returned, if I get 2hrs solid a night then that's a 'good night' but just cannot cope on that, has anyone experienced the same & any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes to all

Brandy xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

No, I would not expect it could be withdrawal after you managed to get back sleeping again. I think something else might be to blame. If you are only able to get a coupple of hours then it may be that you are low on melatonin. Yoou could try a melatonin supplement. They don't work for me but work well for my son who can only get a couple of hours without them.
    • Posted

Thanks for advice evergreen, have you any ideas what contains melatonin as I know we can't get it over the counter?

Hope you're keeping well x

• Posted

I bought mine (controlled release to keep you asleep) from ebay. They came from the US so took 2 - 3 weeks.
  • Posted

Melatonin, Magnesium, Phenergen for sleep, Anti histamine for any itch/rash.  

It 'might' be protracted wd, but firstly I would try the Phenergen or something similar for sleep aid to see if you can reestablish a sleep pattern without Mirt.

I've read of many protracted wd's after cold turkey.  Some have to go back to just 3.75mg and ween off at snail pace from there after a month or two.  Think it may be your body/neurons craving the Mirt.

Hope you feel relief soon, nothing worse than insomnia.

• Posted

Hi calmer, thanks for advice.

I've been having magnesium baths with little results 😁

I've tried herbal sleep aids, lavender oil on my pillow, nothing seems to be helping!

Very reluctant to go back on any dose of mirt after having got through the crazy wd, Ie..stomach cramps, itching, sweats etc

I'll try a pharmacist tomorrow & see what can be recommended.

Hope you're well x

• Posted

Hi I'm good, withdrawing very slowly, so far ok.

It's just a matter of finding that missing link to help you sleep.  Some swear by Magnesium Citrate (2 x 400 mg before bed), personally I take my magnesium in food stuffs, as I'm a firm believer in trying naturally first.  Although the food stuffs are the type that dieters would try to avoid !!!  coinsidence maybe but I wonder if thats why the trouble sleeping with some.  Whoilemeal bread, figs, potatoes, All bran, avacado, green leafy like spinach, pumpkin seeds, nuts & seeds.  

Some of the others are using magnesium flakes for a foot soak, I've not tried this, but if it works for you, then why not.

x

• Posted

Glad to hear you're doing well.

I try to eat as healthy as poss but will def be trying nuts & seeds, I'll keep trying with the magnesium baths. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the last blip from mirt wd.

Thankyou so much for advice, much appreciated x

• Posted

It is absolutely protracted withdrawal!  People expect recovery from a cold turkey to be linear, gradually feeling better and better until you are "done," but that is in reality not how it works.  Recovery happens in a windows and waves pattern.  Windows are the times where you feel better and think maybe you're done, and waves are when withdrawal symptoms return, and generally people oscillate between the two over and over, with the windows lasting a little long and the waves getting less severe over time.  Cold turkey does NOT mean that you will get through withdrawal faster than if you do a slow taper.

How long this will all go on is very individual and has to do also with how high your top dose was and for how long you were on it.  

It truly helps to understand this so that when you have symptoms, you can tell yourself "this is not me, it's withdrawal and it will pass."

I use magnesium glycinate, 400 mg morning and at bedtime.  It is well tolerated, doesn't impact the gut negatively.  Also, 2 grams of fish oil is recommended with vitamin E as well.

It may well be worth reinstating a very small amount, like 2 mg, to see if that cures your sleep situation, and then do a micro taper from there.  Remeron is a brute to get off of.  Depending on where you live, you might be able to get the SolTabs which disolve and so can be used to make a liquid for tapering.  I know folks in the UK can get a liquid version from the pharmacy.

• Posted

Hi betsy, Thankyou for reply, also reassurance that this is just a blip. I'll pay a visit to pharmacy today & get the magnesium tablets & give those a try. Mirtazapine is a very good drug for doing its job but wow the aftermath is horrendous 😁

Hope you're keeping well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.