Could this be MS or am I reading too much into it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. Slightly over the past year or two, I began having pins and needles sensation, burning hands/feet, numbness, tremor in hands, weakness and shooting pains in limbs, blurred vision and double vision(maybe due to wearing contact lenses?)  and fatigue. In addition to that, I've also felt that it was harder to move my toes and have been tripping over myself more frequently. Up to just recently, I thought it could be peripheral neuropathy or CIDP as I had a paralysis scare where I woke up being unable to open my eyes or move for quite a while before being drained and suck back into my sleep. That happened twice before I could finally open my eyes or move. I had a check with my GP and she suspected Peripheral vascular disease and referred me to see a neurologist. My neurologist however, did not think that it was serious and dismissed my scare as sleep paralysis and that it was normal. She had also told me that everything was normal and it was just a coming of age as I am turning 20 this year. I had a NCS (nerve conduction study) during that appointment and found that everything was well. However, I found online that the NCS I took does not rule out the possibility of having MS. Can anyone relate to this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Try not to stress over it.  What if you do have MS?  You may have a mild form of it.  You do not have to do anything about it--you cannot guard against it.  You can try to get walks in during the middle of the day when the sun is strongest (not tanning, but get a good amount of Vitamin D).  Watch your weight.  Exercise your joints especially as they relate to your gait.  It is not a terminal illness.  I wish you well.
  • Posted

If you are concerned insist on a MRI scan, if there are any signs of MS it will show in the scan. All my tests came back clear apart from the scan which showed liaisons in my fluid spine. There are so many different things that it can be, however there are so many different strengths of MS. Some people have 1 attack and nothing again,  others have many relapses. There is so much research now into this unexplained disease, but it can be managed, if you are found to have it. As the other person said you just have to make life changes, exercise, watch your diet, take Omega 3,6,9, flaxseed oil and have as much sunlight/daylight as possible or like me take vitamin D. Also watch your stress levels that can easily trigger things off. But my advice is find out for sure and don't be fobbed off, that's what happened to me until i eventually had to go to A&E with my symptoms (some similar to yours) . Good luck and I hope all is well. 

• Posted

As others have said hun dont get stressed over what you have no control over. Also be careful re sunlight as its two edged if its hot you could suffer severe exhaustion but everyone needs sunlight. Vit such as D3 and the Omegas are good for you anyway. You need to press your gp for a MRI soonest though. At your age it is likely to be RRMS which means the symptoms will come and go over a long time period so just get on with your life while your young enough to enjoy it

All the best hun

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.