Could this been Crohn's?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi! I'm a teenage girl who has been going through some bad stuff lately and just wondering if this sounds like an IBD?  

Ok so 6 months into mucus-y diarrhea, nausea, gas, headaches, joint pains, spontaneous bleeding, easy bruising, mouth sores, fatigue, confusion, affected memory and dizziness.  

So the story begins as I go to my GP. He ordered an X-ray, celiac test and stool test, finds nothing wrong then calls me a liar with bullima and accused me of taking laxatives. Which none of is true.  

Then I see my naturopath and he diagnoses me with leaky gut. Two weeks into the diet I feel the same. Worse even.

My new doctor thinks it's crohns but I'm flooded in and confused.

What do you think?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry your doctor was so unpleasant. To be perfectly honest I would write in a complaint to let them know that accusing you of being a liar is completely inappropriate.

Most bowel problems are caused by diet issed, so first of all are you positive you are getting enough fibre in your diet? (And the right kinds of fibre too)? And secondly are you drinking enough? I would say most of the population don't get the right amount of fibre and water in their diets. Seeing a nutritionist may be helpful.

I am presuming they have done a good panel of blood tests (ie lots of bottles taken)? And since you are bleeding have they done a colonoscopy? If they haven't, I would ask for one. It isn't a pleasant procedure but may give you answers.

Are you taking probiotics? They may help too.

It may be Crohns, but IBS is possible too. Have you been put on any medication? Over the counter you can buy fibre sachets, peppermint oil capsules (that will help with gas), antispasmodics like buscopan (that will help with cramping), and antidiarrhoeals. Basically a bowel problem survival kit lol. You should also be able to get most of these things on prescription but if you have to pay for your scripts buying them over the counter is often cheaper.

Keep on with a doctor until you get results, if you can, find one you get along with and stick with them. I do think a colonoscopy is a good idea, and making sure you are eating really well and drinking plenty will help too. As for the bruising, mouth sores etc I wonder if you have any vitamin deficiencies? Did they test for any? Getting on a good multivitamin is probably a good idea too.

My guess is that there are a few different things all contributing to what's going on here so you may need to attack it on a few different levels.

Just one more thing... doctors aren't usually so blunt with their accusations without proof. IF (and it is a very big if) he is on to something, then please seek help as using laxatives long term can be extremely bad for you. However, in all honesty I don't believe you are. I just had to add that in just in case.

Long story short I think you should:

1) FInd a doctor you like and stick with them

2) Ask for a colonoscopy

3) See a nutritionist or dietician to work out a healthy diet for you

4) Start fibre sachets and use other medications as needed

5) Start pro-biotics and multi-vitamins asap.

Good luck!

• Posted

Yeah I get a lot of fibre. I've tried everything, probiotics, differents diets (gluten free, dairy free, high fibre..) nothing works for me. I've seen a naturopath who suspects IBD as well. Not too many blood tests were taken. I've had 3 medical professionals who says its not IBS though. Any other diseases than IBD or IBS that cause this?
    • Posted

It is very hard to say as you have so many symptoms. How is your blood pressure? Low blood pressure can cause dizzyness.

I do think there may be more than one thing contributing to what is going on with you though. With the probiotics, how long did you try them for? Do you know what blood tests they did take? And did the doctor reffer you to the naturopath of did you go seperately?

Have you had allergy tests done to make you change diets or where you just giving them a go? If you haven't, having allergy testing done might be a good idea.

I think you really need to find one medical professional and stick with them, the more people you see the more complicated it gets, and just seeing one they will have a better idea of what you have tried and what you can try next. I have always found when you have multi-disciplinary teams you end up with people arguing over the diagnosis.

IBD is not a disease on it's own... it covers two conditions, Crohns or Ulcerative Colitis. Out of the two of these, UC seems to fit more of your symptoms... though not all of them.

I hope you find the right doctor to help you through this and help you manage your symptoms for the future. As I have mentioned above, asking for a colonoscopy is a good idea, as well as asking them to check your vitamin levels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.