Couldn't finish surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was scheduled for a tympanomastoidectomy last month to remove a cholesteatoma. They were able to get out part of the cToma but then realized it is wrapped around my facial nerves. I now am scheduled for a 2nd surgery to try again with another surgeon present. They tell me this is very strange. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing. Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catden,

Your situation is certainly way less common.

Normally the cholesteotoma can be scraped away from the bones, spooned away and taken out. This isn't the case with the facial nerve at it's soft tissue.

You cannot simply scrape it off the nerve as the nerve itself is soft as well.

So it's way more delicate and still you risk the chance of damaging it.

In your case another surgeon will have to help, one who has experience with removing tissue around nerves. It'll be a very delicate procedure and almost no force can be used. Your facial nerve will be touched all the time, but it's function must be preserved as much as possible.  It's good that this was realized and the surgeon didn't continue removing it himself. Best of luck with the procedure!

Thanks,

Mipam.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply--that was pretty much my understanding too.

Met with 3 other ent surgeons today to confirm what needs to be done. My ent has been so apologetic that she was unable to finish but i commended her for knowing her boundaries and not paralyzing my face.

Now I am more nervous than ever and have almost a month to stew on it.....ugh --just hope they get it all and don't have to repeat....

• Posted

It's understandable that you're very nervous.

But at least the medical team is taking it serious and are planning on what to do and how to approach it. I'm sure they're very careful.

You'll most likely notice issues with half of your face after the surgery, as they've been aggitating the nerve, possibly even removing very small parts as it's possible. It'll take time to recover from that. As the emphasis is on removing the remaining cholesteotoma and saving the nerve, it might take a while as it's such a delicate process.

I would certainly think they've got surgeons who've got experience with removing tissue around nerves and other sensitive tissues.

A neurologist might be consulted by the surgeons as well upon this or might be called in when they're busy as this concerns a nerve.

They must have a good picture of how the situation must look like inside your ear and around the nerve, so they can prepare well.

if they can't take everything away without damaging the nerve severely, they might chose to let some in there and keep checking more frequently.

Then you'll need surgery again to minimize it again and so on.

I do not know if cholesteotoma eats away tissue as well besides bone.

I would expect them to have talked to you about possible scenarios and the best approach.

Try to keep your calm and have some faith in the outcome.

I'll be thinking about you.

Thanks,

Mipam.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.