Counselling

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am hoping that you can help me, had an assessment yesterday with a counsellor, cried most of the time, but offered more sessions.

If you had counselling how did you feel the next day? I'm not sure what I'm feeling is normal. I'm low, tired and washed out.

Am I normal?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ive just started counselling, it's hard because it feels like I've opened Pandora's Box and I'm thinking about stuff that I had mentally locked away. My understanding is that counselling makes you look at the parts of your life you don't want to which will always be extremely hard. Also, my thoughts are that it has to get worse before it gets better, much like a lot of things in life.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi,

It sounds like this was a first introductory session. How long did it last? Counselling sessions can normally last about an hour. It was good that you felt comfortable enough to release your emotions and be completely honest about your current state. As J says, counselling can be something of a Pandora's box in that psychotherapy can often open old wounds and make us examine parts of our inner self that we would rather not face. However, I think the profession has moved towards a gentler approach. Thirty years ago when my brother needed trauma counselling, he told me it was like someone surgically opening you up and then when the hour was over, expecting you to get up and walk out with your insides hanging out (sorry for that graphic image but it stuck with me!) Nowadays, it's more about the professional relationship between patient and counsellor - there needs to be a connection between the two people, an understanding and a trust. A good counsellor would not let his/her patient walk out of a session feeling worse than when they walked in with no plan of action for getting through the days until the next session. When is your next session? It may take a few sessions to tell whether the "relationship" is working for you. It's definitely worth giving it a bit of time. What other support (friends and family) have you got in the meantime? It's a bit like a new medication - it shouldn't make you feel worse once you've adjusted to it - there needs to be a benefit in helping you deal with the way you are feeling. I'm assuming you haven't been this low, tired and washed out before the counselling.

You're not normal (I don't think there is any such thing) but you are unique and special so don't give up :-)

Digsby

• Posted

Thank you, my assessment, was 50 minutes, I have felt low before but just made me think more. She was surprised I have carried on this long, working. My next session is the 24th November, I need her help. I don't have many I can talk too, maybe two people. I'm just focusing on 3 hours at a time, that's all I can do. Feeling exhausted the last couple weeks, the day takes it out of me. Life will get tougher so will need her support.
    • Posted

It sounds like she can offer you the support that you need right now which is a positive step. You should give yourself the credit for getting this far and focussing on the next 3 hours is a good clear approach to have - it means you are dealing with the here and now. Good luck buddy. Don't give up on yourself now that you've found this help. We are here as well if you need to chat :-)
    • Posted

You're welcome buddy. You're not alone :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.